FarmVille 2: Zynga's Latest Contribution to Facebook Addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I'm surprised they didn't HTML5 it instead of flash. Lots of casual gamers have iphones/ipads so they won't be able to play on those devices. But then again... lots of casual gamers also use IE7 and 8 still which are very out of date can don't support HTML 5 goodies.

sylvez

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
[citation][nom]dameon51[/nom]I'm surprised they didn't HTML5 it instead of flash. Lots of casual gamers have iphones/ipads so they won't be able to play on those devices. But then again... lots of casual gamers also use IE7 and 8 still which are very out of date can don't support HTML 5 goodies.[/citation]

HTML5 exposes your code. Still not feasible for profit driven stuff at this stage.
And.. iPhone/iPad users can go play with themselves for Mr Jobs' decision to drop support for flash.

hunshiki

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
[citation][nom]sylvez[/nom]HTML5 exposes your code. Still not feasible for profit driven stuff at this stage.And.. iPhone/iPad users can go play with themselves for Mr Jobs' decision to drop support for flash.[/citation]

Adobe dropped flash for Linux and Android too. It's a hassle to use on PC (it crashes for me in every other browser... except Chrome which uses it's in-built flash.) It's a terrible software. Jobs made a good decision.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]hunshiki[/nom]Adobe dropped flash for Linux and Android too. It's a hassle to use on PC (it crashes for me in every other browser... except Chrome which uses it's in-built flash.) It's a terrible software. Jobs made a good decision.[/citation]
sounds like your computer is messed up bro - flash works just fine for me, on multiple browsers old and new.

camel82

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
Early '90s graphic and gameplay (needing good 2010's hardware and up to date software to play it), plus you have to pay the connection's bill, plus spam and paid contents.
Epic win for Zynga to be able to sell it so well on "web 2.0".
Epic fail for "modern" users.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
[citation][nom]sylvez[/nom]HTML5 exposes your code. Still not feasible for profit driven stuff at this stage.And.. iPhone/iPad users can go play with themselves for Mr Jobs' decision to drop support for flash.[/citation]
Server side code isn't exposed. Think of all the countless other web sites/apps that are out there that are non-flashed based. They don't have a problem. Ebay... google docs.... facebook.... Hell, Steam is driven by HTML on the front end, you can even view the source in Steam. HTML5 and JS are just used for the front end stuff.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
This article looks like cheap advertising.

Zynga will NEVER regain the massive player base they once had, no matter what they do. The pit can only get deeper for them.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]hunshiki[/nom]Adobe dropped flash for Linux and Android too. It's a hassle to use on PC (it crashes for me in every other browser... except Chrome which uses it's in-built flash.) It's a terrible software. Jobs made a good decision.[/citation]
Agree

sylvez

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005

I never said Flash is great, but honestly you need to have your PC checked.

sylvez

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
[citation][nom]dameon51[/nom]Server side code isn't exposed. Think of all the countless other web sites/apps that are out there that are non-flashed based. They don't have a problem. Ebay... google docs.... facebook.... Hell, Steam is driven by HTML on the front end, you can even view the source in Steam. HTML5 and JS are just used for the front end stuff.[/citation]

All the sites you mentioned, including Steam, is informational, and is not real-time animation, which is generally what HTML5 is boasting (generally) about. Have you seen those Flash based MMORPG lookalikes? This is what I'm talking about. Just for example, saying that it is OK to expose the client code for WoW because the server side codes are not exposed.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012

You need a better PC.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
[citation][nom]sylvez[/nom]All the sites you mentioned, including Steam, is informational, and is not real-time animation, which is generally what HTML5 is boasting (generally) about. Have you seen those Flash based MMORPG lookalikes? This is what I'm talking about. Just for example, saying that it is OK to expose the client code for WoW because the server side codes are not exposed.[/citation]
Ok here's a better example... http://browserquest.mozilla.org/ Just because you have code running on the client for animations etc doesn't mean everything crucial is exposed. If the browser sends an attack command, it doesn't have to say how much damage it does etc. That is still all figured out server side.

Status
Not open for further replies.