Jaspreet_816

Reputable
Apr 2, 2017
so i have Asus TUF B450 plus gaming motherboard with Ryzen 7 2700 16 gb ram and 256gb ssd as boot drive.
my fast boot in bios and fast startup in windows was enabled. then i was facing some bootloop issues like sometime when i boot into windows it gets stuck in windows bootloop. i found somewhere it can be because of fast startup and fast boot so i turned both of them off. when i disabled fast boot in bios and turned the system on it took around 12-13 seconds but when i turned off fast startup in wi9ndows and turn on my PC next day it took me around 30 seconds to boot but windows shows it only took 12 seconds.

should i turn on both in windows and bios or turn both of them off... tell me please

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i leave them both disabled myself.

fast boot skips over booting anything but your hdd. so usb, dvd and so on won't boot with it enabled. i disable this since i often boot from those devices.

fast start-up is a hybrid hibernation state and can cause issues with updates, encryption and other stuff. so i disable it to avoid these problems.

boot time is counted by windows once it starts it's part of the boot process. so the seconds before it begins are not counted. really is that few seconds worth a bunch of effort and trouble?

Jaspreet_816

Reputable
Apr 2, 2017
I think i will leave them disabled. One more thing i want to know is when i turn on my pc it shows splash screen of bios and then come the screen of windows loading in that screen there is asus tuf branding instead of windows logo and then screen becomes black for a split second then i see a black screen with windows loading dots at bottom. Many times my system bootloops at same screen. Sometimes it stays at this screen for about 1 to 2 minutes like it bootlooped and when i checked in windows it says 12 seconds(example) in this screen i can see my cursor and my rgb gets synced to what i set in windows.

what can be the reason for it. can the windows lock doing it or what do you know

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
likely has to do with BIOS configuration somewhere. BIOS loads basic drivers and then hands off the start-up to windows. that screen you are seeing is either one last thing BIOS is trying to do or something windows wants to do very early in its process. if it is sending your system into a boot loop, then whatever is trying to happen needs to be re-configured or moved to a different part of start-up. without sitting in front of the system and pouring through all the various settings that's about as close as i can get you.

try disabling anything special in the BIOS and see what happens. if it fixes it, then turn things back on one by one until it hangs again.

if it's not in BIOS, then same thing with windows, turn off start-up items and slowly add them back until it hangs. about the only way to know what is causing it. a quick test would be to do a clean boot in windows and see if it still does it. this will tell you whether to focus on BIOS or windows. here's how to do it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Jaspreet_816

Reputable
Apr 2, 2017
likely has to do with BIOS configuration somewhere. BIOS loads basic drivers and then hands off the start-up to windows. that screen you are seeing is either one last thing BIOS is trying to do or something windows wants to do very early in its process. if it is sending your system into a boot loop, then whatever is trying to happen needs to be re-configured or moved to a different part of start-up. without sitting in front of the system and pouring through all the various settings that's about as close as i can get you.

try disabling anything special in the BIOS and see what happens. if it fixes it, then turn things back on one by one until it hangs again.

if it's not in BIOS, then same thing with windows, turn off start-up items and slowly add them back until it hangs. about the only way to know what is causing it. a quick test would be to do a clean boot in windows and see if it still does it. this will tell you whether to focus on BIOS or windows. here's how to do it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
i think i need to turn on any one feature because it took me 5 minutes to boot into windows this time what should i do

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
fresh install of windows and still having issues suggests it is the BIOS that's the issue. have you messed with those settings? look for a "reset to defaults" option and start over with the BIOS. you can also check for an update to it and see if there is a known issue that has been fixed in a newer BIOS version.

Jaspreet_816

Reputable
Apr 2, 2017
fresh install of windows and still having issues suggests it is the BIOS that's the issue. have you messed with those settings? look for a "reset to defaults" option and start over with the BIOS. you can also check for an update to it and see if there is a known issue that has been fixed in a newer BIOS version.
Can it be the ssd because when i am not using any fast boot or fast startup option it takes 5 minutes to boot

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
does the BIOS give any errors for the ssd or any other parts? you can try another drive and see what happens.

but if you've done a fresh windows already more than once it is clearly some kind of hardware or BIOS problem. try resetting the BIOS to defaults first and see what that does.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
What BIOS version are you using ?
I know that a LOT of people have posted and said they have cold boot issues with the 2 newest versions (with AGESA 0070) of the BIOS for my MB.
I use an older version (with AGESA 1.0.0.6) and I don't have that issue.

So using whichever version has AGESA 1.0.0.6 might fix that issue for you too.

PS
I have fast boot off in my BIOS and in Windows.

Last edited:
Fast boot, I think, loads a file with the last successful boot memory contents directly into ram.
It does not take the extra time to reload the individual windows files thus saving boot time.

How about not booting at all?
Just use sleep to ram.
It will put the pc in a very low power state that takes only a few seconds to sleep or wake.

Jaspreet_816

Reputable
Apr 2, 2017
Fast boot, I think, loads a file with the last successful boot memory contents directly into ram.
It does not take the extra time to reload the individual windows files thus saving boot time.

How about not booting at all?
Just use sleep to ram.
It will put the pc in a very low power state that takes only a few seconds to sleep or wake.
What BIOS version are you using ?
I know tha ta LOT of people have posted and said they have cold boot issues with the 2 newest versions (with AGESA 0070) of the BIOS for my MB.
I use an older version (with AGESA 1.0.0.6) and I don't have that issue.

So using whichever version has AGESA 1.0.0.6 might fix that issue for you too.

PS
I have fast boot off in my BIOS and in Windows.

So what i do is set bios to default earlier bios version was 0409 and i was facing same issue then i updated it to 1002 its latest version and still same issue, then what i notice is that when i boot it boot very fast but when i restart it took 5-7 minutes i think it was because of fast startup in windows. But when i disable fast startup it took 5-7 minutes whenever i shut down and start again. But more bigger problem than that is sometimes when i shut down and start pc again or just simply restart it it would just stuck in that loading screen

View: https://m.imgur.com/account/Jaspreet816/images/PcECCq0

This is the screen.

What to do so that it speed when i cold boot or restart.

And what i have to do when someday it again stuck in that screen

Jaspreet_816

Reputable
Apr 2, 2017
does the BIOS give any errors for the ssd or any other parts? you can try another drive and see what happens.

but if you've done a fresh windows already more than once it is clearly some kind of hardware or BIOS problem. try resetting the BIOS to defaults first and see what that does.
So i set the bios to default settings and change nothing and still i face those issues that boot loop screen comes when windows starts to load therefore i am thinking that might be caused by ssd

If you have issues. Taking 5 mins to boot from SSD is an issue, TURN OFF FAST anything to enable troubleshooting. Fast/Quick anything often will disable your ability to get into BIOS, bypass all diagnostic, no message blah-blah.

Fast whatever won't fix your 5 min boot problem, the problem is somewhere else and u must find it.

New SSD or was working and all of a sudden? what does S.M.A.R.T say? how full is this SSD?

Jaspreet_816

Reputable
Apr 2, 2017
If you have issues. Taking 5 mins to boot from SSD is an issue, TURN OFF FAST anything to enable troubleshooting. Fast/Quick anything often will disable your ability to get into BIOS, bypass all diagnostic, no message blah-blah.

Fast whatever won't fix your 5 min boot problem, the problem is somewhere else and u must find it.

New SSD or was working and all of a sudden? what does S.M.A.R.T say? how full is this SSD?
I just doubt it to be SSD because when i boot windows it says "drive checking press any key to skip".
SSD is 256GB and only windows is installed on it and some adobe softwares.
My whole system is new it is less than month old.

I installed my old 2.5" SSD to check if problem persists if it doesn't happen on HDD i will exchange my SSD

What do you think.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if it works with old hdd, then clearly it has to be the ssd in some way. either a bad windows install which is unlikely since you've already done a fresh install a couple times, or the drive itself is messed up. it does happen, that's why stuff comes with warranties in case it has a defect.