[SOLVED] fast connect to wifi after sleep mode

max_hfr

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017
Hi guys,

Sorry, i didn't really know how to properly title this thread.

So, I have had a few routers in the past. My computer took more or less time to reconnect after standby depending on the router.

I was wondering what are the criterias that define the speed at which the handshake with your router is done.
What criteria for the wifi router?
For the device you're using?

Thank you guys in advance,

Max

Solution
It depends on the router much less (if not at all) than on your PC and OS. Your OS scans for all available networks, sees your saved WiFi networks and performs the connection. The actual connection (handshake) takes the least time of it all. Most of the time it depends on how fast does your network adapter gets back from sleep, searches for networks and identifies the one you always use. High CPU or disk usage after sleep (=PC being busy) can affect that, too.

I can't think of any reason this would depend on a router. It's network is always present, and handshake takes a second or two. Again, it's the work of your PC/OS after sleep that affects how fast you connect.

Such parameters are not documented because they are either standart...
It depends on the router much less (if not at all) than on your PC and OS. Your OS scans for all available networks, sees your saved WiFi networks and performs the connection. The actual connection (handshake) takes the least time of it all. Most of the time it depends on how fast does your network adapter gets back from sleep, searches for networks and identifies the one you always use. High CPU or disk usage after sleep (=PC being busy) can affect that, too.

I can't think of any reason this would depend on a router. It's network is always present, and handshake takes a second or two. Again, it's the work of your PC/OS after sleep that affects how fast you connect.

Such parameters are not documented because they are either standart or not tracable because personal PC configuration and usage veries. Maybe some network adapters for PC can be snappier, but I just can't imagine anyone doing those tests to find the one adapter on the market which gets 1s faster connection.

Reactions: max_hfr
Solution