FAST! IBM Develops 100GHz Transistor Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

grillz9909

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Is the source of graphene (graphite) as cheap as silicon? I'd be glad to have more speed, but if it doubles prices I might have to cry.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
[citation][nom]grillz9909[/nom]Is the source of graphene (graphite) as cheap as silicon? I'd be glad to have more speed, but if it doubles prices I might have to cry.[/citation]

Well how much does pencil lead cost? Its pretty cheap stuff. Although I would hazard a guess that the first few batches of CPU's would cost much much more then your Core i7.... Honestly this is exciting and will allow for whole new kinds of software to be developed! The things that take hours to do now would take seconds...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
OMFG!!!!

I just read the other IBM article about the Power 7's

8 core's, 32 threads, now just imagine if you could combine the above 100Ghz into a package like that.
Want to encode the extended edition of Return Of The King in 4 seconds?
No problem.
Want to open 1000 photo's from a 20MP camera in CS3?
No problem.
Want to run 10 separate instances of Crysis at 2560 x 1600?
No problem.

OK, we aren't there yet, but the future is looking very bright.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Keep in mind a 100 GHz transistor will NOT make a CPU with a clock speed of 100 GHz. For a single clock cycle, each transistor may have to flip SEVERAL times; there needs to be enough done that each logic gate can at least process a cycle ONCE.

As the article noted, top-end silicon transistors currently top out at ~40 GHz, which would be about what Intel uses for their sub-4 GHz CPUs... So that means perhaps 10-12 transistor cycles per stock clock cycle.

Still, this is a very good piece of news; it's STILL 2.5 times faster than the currently-used tech, which means we could see CPUs with it in the 8+ GHz range. Furthermore, the fact is that they're building these out of graphene, a material basically similar to the so-called "nanotubes." (the difference being that graphene is a flat sheet, while nanotubes are fixed in a hollow tube-shape)

While the current mentioned "size" is listed as 240 nanometers, I'm not sure how that equates to actual process size equivalent, since logic gates tend to be longer than they are wide (they consist of a lot of transistors) and the "feature size" for fabrication processes typically goes on the distance when placed side-by-side. However, since this is basically nanotechnology, there's tons of room to shrink them down in size, potentially into the sub-nanometer range. (the distance between carbon atoms being about 140 picometers, aka 0.14 nm)

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Want to run 10 separate instances of Crysis at 2560 x 1600?No problem.OK, we aren't there yet, but the future is looking very bright.[/citation]
One problem: Crysis is for Windows only and the CPU is most likely to be PPC.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]amabhy[/nom]AND YES OF COURSE THIS WILL RUN CRYSIS[/citation]

No, a single transistor will not run anything. A few million of them together might be able to.

G

well with this achievement we are 1/100 of the way to terahertz speed on a single chip.

michaelzehr

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
This was reported a few days by other sources but in the details it said that IBM hadn't operated it at 100Ghz -- they had operated it more slowly but extrapolated their data to predict that it COULD operate at 100Ghz. Either they did a lot of work in a couple of days or some important details got dropped out of this article.

Nonetheless an exciting advancement.

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]JonathanDeane[/nom]Well how much does pencil lead cost? Its pretty cheap stuff. Although I would hazard a guess that the first few batches of CPU's would cost much much more then your Core i7.... Honestly this is exciting and will allow for whole new kinds of software to be developed! The things that take hours to do now would take seconds...[/citation]
this is not the case, graphite and graphene are NOT the same price. graphite is a naturally occuring compound composed if sheets of graphene bonded together. graphene is hard to extract and there is no current industrial process that can mass produce this substance efficiently. it is currently surpasses gold as one of the most expensive materials known. making a main stream chip with this is years away and it will only happen when the price comes down.

G

[citation][nom]xaios[/nom]Methinks you might want to check your math. We're actually 1/10 of the way to a single chip operating at 1Thz, if this article is to be believed.[/citation]

yea your right. wish toms had a edit button

Status
Not open for further replies.