Question Fast Internet but ping spikes

jackycrompo

Prominent
Jul 5, 2019
I have fast internet but every few seconds ping would spike. My computer is the only device that suffers from ping spikes from the same WiFi. About 2 or 3 years ago I would be able to play online games like Team Fortress 2 with low ping. (Connected to the same WiFi!) But then a few months ago the ping problem started and I couldn't play games anymore until I shared my phones connection with my PC.

I have tried:
Disabling Nagle's Algorithm.
Changing DNS Servers.
Moving the PC right next to the router. (Even the PC is right next to my router the ping would still spike!)
Turning on Airplane Mode in other devices.

The only thing that solves my problem is sharing my phone's internet to play Team Fortress 2 and ROBLOX with low ping. So are there any other ideas to fix this ping problem? Thanks.

FYI my phone's wifi and the PC's wifi (the one that it suffered from ping spikes) is the same!

kerangovender

Commendable
Nov 26, 2017
Ping is dependent on the distance between you and the server you are connecting and the routing your ISP does. You can have a gigabit connection but you will still get high ping if you are connecting from your region to a server in another region. Try this...
Preferred DNS server: 1.1.1.1
Alternate DNS server: 1.0.0.1

jackycrompo

Prominent
Jul 5, 2019
Ping is dependent on the distance between you and the server you are connecting and the routing your ISP does. You can have a gigabit connection but you will still get high ping if you are connecting from your region to a server in another region. Try this...
Preferred DNS server: 1.1.1.1
Alternate DNS server: 1.0.0.1
Changing DNS Servers wont help. I also connected to servers in my region but still got ping spikes. My ping is usually 2 ms according to speedtest.com.

It could be some issue with the wifi card in your machine. Wifi is extremely hard to troubleshoot since everything is buried inside the wifi radio chips and they give almost no diagnostics. It could be pure luck. that it works better on your phone. I would ping your router IP to be really sure the spike in is the wifi.

Makes sure you have the most current drivers. Window 10 unless you disable it will sometime update with generic microsoft drivers instead of the manufacture ones.

Since you already moved the pc it eliminates the other very common issue that the antenna are being blocked. It is always best to have the antenna away from the back of the case or at least the back of the case facing the router.

In your case I would consider replacing the wifi card there is not much else you can try. BUT since you are going to spend money I would spend it on powerline network equipment. The newer av2 based stuff works well for most people. Wifi is always subject to interference, you never know when then the neighbor gets a new router or one those cars with a hotspot drives by.

kerangovender

Commendable
Nov 26, 2017
Try ethernet cable from router to PC if you want to. Because ethernet uses cables, it tends to work slightly faster than a wireless connection. Wireless connections are a bit slower, but provide the convenience of using it within range. Thus, the choice lies between speed and convenience.