Fast internet connection but slow loading times. Powerline Adapter

jonezeen

Honorable
May 10, 2014
I have a fast internet connect using speedtest.net. 5ms, 30Mbps download and 6Mbps upload.
Whenever I download anything I get good speeds but when it comes to browsing the internet, It'll take 5-10+ seconds just to load a website. It gets a little annoying at times - especially when I want to google something really quick.
I am using a powerline adapter TP-LINK TL-WPA8730 AV1200.
Is there any special settings I need to do in order to have fast loading times?

Solution
No 5-10 seconds to load a new web page is not normal.

Try a different browser or different computer. Sometimes a browser gets bogged down with malware or adware which tries to intercept all web accesses, and can slow your browsing down. Your anti-virus can do this too. Look for something like a "web protection" service and turn it off. They're basically intercepting the site your browser is trying to access, sending the URL to the antivirus company, who is testing it to make sure it's safe, then sending the OK to your browser, which is finally allowed to access the site.

Try using this test site instead of speedtest.net. Some ISPs automatically prioritize your traffic over other traffic when they detect you're accessing...
No 5-10 seconds to load a new web page is not normal.

Try a different browser or different computer. Sometimes a browser gets bogged down with malware or adware which tries to intercept all web accesses, and can slow your browsing down. Your anti-virus can do this too. Look for something like a "web protection" service and turn it off. They're basically intercepting the site your browser is trying to access, sending the URL to the antivirus company, who is testing it to make sure it's safe, then sending the OK to your browser, which is finally allowed to access the site.

Try using this test site instead of speedtest.net. Some ISPs automatically prioritize your traffic over other traffic when they detect you're accessing speedtest.net. A dirty trick to make you think you're getting faster speeds than they're actually providing you. The following site tests your speed to all the major Internet backbone networks. If your speed is slow to one (or more) of them, then the problem is your ISP. Their connection to the Internet is not very good (though they probably made sure their connection to speedtest.net is good).

https://www.battleforthenet.com/internethealthtest/

Try testing with your computer plugged directly into your router, just to eliminate the powerline adapter as a possible culprit.

Try testing with no other devices connected. Turn off your router's WiFi and unplug every other LAN cable plugged into your router except your PC. If someone is doing filesharing and coming close to saturating your download or especially upload bandwidth, it can cause longer delays when initiating a transfer (e.g. downloads and opening up a website take a while to start, but proceed at close to full speed once they do).

Try setting the DNS servers on your router to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Those are Google's DNS. If you set it as default, it'll use your ISP's DNS instead. A lot of ISPs try to monetize DNS by sending you to an advertising page if you make a typo in a domain name. This can cause their DNS to operate slower, and if their server is overloaded it can add several seconds of processing time. (But this shouldn't affect subsequent load times to the same domain. e.g. if you click a link to the same site.)

Try a different router. The symptoms you're describing can be one of the signs of an overloaded or failing router. In particular, if your router feels hot to the touch, take some steps to cool it down. If it's on carpet, move it to a flat hard surface (put a book under it). If it's sitting on top of other hot electronics or is in a hot cabinet, move it someplace cool. If if's not getting sufficient airflow, try to clear it up or add a fan.

Solution