Apr 18, 2020
Hi,
the relevant parts of my setup are:
Windows 10 64bit
Comodo Internet security
50mbit DSL (1&1),
Firefox as main browser
My problem is:
since around a few weeks i'm experiencing very slow download speeds (50kb/s per file).
I began to think it's due to the current work-from-home situation where everyone may be hammering all the servers that i'm just currently using too.
So i began using a download manager (https://www.freedownloadmanager.org); this allowed me to segment the downloads up to around 500kb/s, which is still way below what should be possible and still showed the general slowdown so it isn't just my browser. Then i suspected a problem with my ISP, but various speed test sites report my full speed. Then today i tried downloading a file inside a VM (also Win10 64bit, using firefox) which surprisingly went full speed (repeatably). And now i'm out of ideas. The only thing i can think of now is that my main OS has somehing had changed in some hidden registry setting or similar, but i have no clue what that could have been.
Any help is appreciated, thanks

Apr 18, 2020
i can't try edge as i have used some steps years ago to prevent it from connecting wherever possible, not sure now what those where. But i installed brave (the browser) and tried that, it shows the same slowness.

Apr 18, 2020
I'm not using a VPN nor any extra anonymity software, i'm also not behind a proxy, just a FritzBox as router.
The connection is wired. VM is vmware player using NAT as network setup.
I once used ShutUp10 for basic privacy setup(long ago), later i blocked edge with comodo (block and kill). Not sure about other settings. But when i try to launch it now it just doesn't and nothing else happens.

Edit: I just tried downloading a game on steam and that too runs at full speed, i'm confused why.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020
Update: I've disabled IPV6 in the network adapter settings and that makes it work at full speed again.
I'm not sure if it's a good idea to keep it disabled as IPV6 is getting used more and more, isn't it?
Is there a way to 'fix' it instead of disabling it?

Reactions: vov4ik_il
Apr 18, 2020
I think that's the most promising way to go about now. Atleast i'm somewhat more confident now that it's not some kind of rootkit.
Thanks for this little walkthrough so far.