[SOLVED] fast internet wanted ?

qmuddy2

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2013
i have comcast, ethernet connection , buying a new desktop: what makes faster internet speed : ram, cache, or 4-core vs 6-core and cpu speed ? i play games and like to have craigslist, gmail, etc. running while playing a game; i think this is multi-tasking ? just bought an alienware aurora r4 for $500, 4-core i7 2.37 , not sure what cache, 8gb ram; might be somewhat faster than my last 4-core with 4gb ram; i could use a 2nd desktop, but want it to be faster than my refurbished alienware, although the alienware is not slow compared to what i'm used to; don't want to spend more than $2000; i don't want to build my own desktop, not technical enough; thanks

Solution
Generally none of the things you listed impact internet speeds. Wired vs wireless will make a big difference. All the other things you mentioned can impact game play, but not because of internet performance.

qmuddy2

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2013
maybe if should ask about how fast my desktop is able to handle multiple tasks; thanks : ram, cache , or cpu speed and # of cores; my old 4-core was much faster handling tasks than my 2-core, they both had 4gb ram; thanks

kanewolf

Titan
RAM is one of the most critical things for doing multiple things at once. 16GB is a typical value for a multi-tasker. Then storage. An SSD for fast program loads. Even a new i3 is quad core today so the total number of cores is less important. After RAM, and storage, would be clock speed.

USAFRet

Titan

And I've had nothing but stellar service from Verizon FiOS.

Just recently:
TV went out
Did the normal consumer level troubleshooting.
Called Verizon that evening, more t-shooting
"Looks like a hardware issue"
Tech came out the next morning (5 minutes early), replaced the 4 year old ONT on the side of the house
1 hour, done.

TRENDING THREADS