[SOLVED] Fast LAN, Slow Internet using Powerline adapter. Please Help

bigjoncoop

Honorable
Jun 15, 2014
hey fella,s

I've had a set of TP Link av200 Powerline adapters for quite some time now and have used them in different applications. I've had good results so far even using them on my Plex server. and I understand the limitations to Powerline adapters and the maximum speed of this particular model...

I just moved one of them off my plex server and have started using it on a laptop on my screened-in porch which gets horrible Wi-Fi. after hooking it up I noticed that the speeds weren't very different than just using Wi-Fi to access the internet but file transfers between two pc's on my LAN is much faster.

I downloaded Lan speed test and it shows a speed of about 200Mbps transferring files on my LAN... But when I do a internet speed test using Googles speed test or speedtest.net the maximum speed that shows is just about 10mbps usually a little less.... SOMETHING IS VERY STRANGE. now if I run a speed test from any other PC in the house or phone I do get just about my advertised speed from Spectrum which is about 100 Mbps...

Any ideas on a solution or what might be the problem? The driver on my laptop is upto date and this model of powerline adapter doesn't have any functionality of changing settings etc...

Just out of curiosity I put the Powerline adapter back on my Plex server and ran a Google speed test and it got right around 70 to 80 Mbps... and it can't be that the outlet I have the Powerline adapter plugged into on the screened in porch is affecting the speed since I'm able to obtain 200mbps file transfers.. and the computer on the other end of the transfer is over Wi-Fi on my network.

thanks

Solution
That's highly unusual that you're getting 200Mbps on a av200 powerline. I have av500 and av600 units and even right through a single wall I'll never come close to the rated speeds. I believe lanspeedtest is wrong. I use that tool myself, but iperf is a lot better for bandwidth testing.
That's highly unusual that you're getting 200Mbps on a av200 powerline. I have av500 and av600 units and even right through a single wall I'll never come close to the rated speeds. I believe lanspeedtest is wrong. I use that tool myself, but iperf is a lot better for bandwidth testing.

Solution
May 10, 2020
I'm getting the same issue with my powerline adaptors, what is even stranger is the issue only raised its ugly head the past few days. Been making use of Nvidias Geforce now game streaming platform with no issues whatsoever. Stuck a game on the other day and between the lag and the incredibly low resolution everything is unplayable.

Went from roughly 50-60mbps down to 10-15mbps

Ralston18

Titan
I am not so sure about ruling out the porch outlet per se.

File transfers within your own network are one thing.

Packets back and forth via the internet with all the potential delays/latency is another.

Is the porch outlet on a different circuit? What is the "condition" of the porch outlet. Has it/ is it exposed more to extremes with respect to weather, environment, usage?

iPerf - yes. A reliable, consistent tool is important.

However, also do some carefully controlled tests using ping, pathping, and tracert via the various internal network paths (including powerline adapters run with and without the porch outlet) to narrow down the possibilities.

Sketch out the paths, test, record results. Several tests should be run on each path. Even anomalies can be useful.

Vary only one thing at a time and keep notes.