Fast Question about Ebay Windows 10 keys

Status
Not open for further replies.
As with anything on eBay, you're taking a risk even though they're a highly rated seller. There's no telling if the keys are legit or not for that matter. All said, I'd only buy a copy from a source you know to be completely trustworthy. Anything else and you're asking for trouble.

Best case scenario, they may be legitimate keys intended for sale in a country where Windows OEM licenses cost significantly less, although using them in another country is technically against the license's terms and conditions.

Another possibility is that they could be keys intended for use only within a certain big company, and if it's discovered that they're being sold, the licenses may be revoked, returning Windows to an unactivated state.

Or, there's the possibility they could have been stolen through some means, again, likely resulting in them becoming deactivated after some time.

At a price of $5-$10, I would be more likely to suspect one of the latter scenarios though.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Probably because they work. But like said above no telling for how long and if it is truly legal, I cant see how it would be 100% legal. That said Microsoft does not seem to care, comment on, or do anything about this if they are illegal, I have seen these incredibly cheap keys around for at least a couple years now.

Aug 2, 2018

Companies buy some 10000+ licenses , for Sure they will have leftovers to sell on ebay , I will try my luck

USAFRet

Titan

And a couple months later, when that license wants to talk to the company license server (yes, thats a thing)...

Companies don't get to buy 10,000 licenses for cheap and then sell some of them. That's not the way it works.

Reactions: Neocro

USAFRet

Titan

100% positive rating?
Do you have any idea how much "feedback" on fleabay is faked?

And fleabay only partially polices it, because they get a cut of every sale.

How do you know no one reported them?
Sell 300, close the account.
3 months later, when those licenses become invalid....what account does fleabay close?

Aug 2, 2018

so What it is only $5 , if it works then i am lucky if not , I will not buy another . My only concern was If they are Legal or not , and it seems no one is sure about it .

Have a look into their feedback to see how long they have been selling the keys for. For example, I did a quick search and checked the first listing for a $10 Windows 10 Professional key that I saw. Looking at feedback, the seller has 100% with 149 positive ratings. However, if we check their feedback page, we see that...

1) They only signed up for the account only 3 months ago.
2) Out of the 149 ratings, nearly all of them were received within the last month. It's also very possible that the initial reviews might have been from alternate accounts of the same user.

So, these people who gave positive reviews to this seller have only had their keys for a matter of weeks at most. Most likely, the seller will get shut down relatively soon and these keys may get deactivated, and the seller will just move on to their other alternate accounts to sell more.

Companies can't legally sell their volume licenses, and once its discovered that someone is selling them, the keys may get deactivated.

Another option to buying a questionable Windows 10 key is to simply download the official Windows installer from Microsoft and simply not activate your copy. You will be prevented from accessing a few customization features like Wallpaper, and might occasionally get a message reminding you to activate, but otherwise the system should still be functional.

USAFRet

Titan

Ask yourself this:

How can someone sell a $95 item for $5? How can someone sell 500 items that retail for $95 for $5 each?
Please describe, in actual business terms...how that works.

Most of the people in that chain of transactions are not "stupid". Most of them...

Aug 2, 2018

Ask MS how they sell serial numbers for $90 lol

Let me ask you a question , Cant you buy a $60 Steam game today for $10 just two years old?

I really expect That MS gives Volume discounts That will make you and us mad lol ...

USAFRet

Titan

Steam giving a discount in 2 years is one thing.
Is MS giving this "discount"? No, they are not.

This is just like some guy in the Walmart parking lot, with a van full of 70" Sony TV's. Selling them for $50 each.
Valid right? He got them at a discount, and all is OK, right?

Whatever...you can continue to think what you want.
I'm out.

SkyStormy

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
They work fine. I bought two Windows 10 keys, 2 Office keys, 1 Visio Key, and 1 Project key from ebay. All of them work, and were activated online. in fact I downloaded office setup file via office official website. downloaded the Windows 10 setup from Microsoft's CDN. you enter your key, download the setup which has the key attached to its name, then install and activate via online. so they are not illegal, or pirated. If they are illegal or pirated, you can't activate through online. The only difference is. the keys ebay have are OEM, so no support. you are on your own, whereas Retail version has support. You still get all the updates on time, just don't expect you can call Microsoft if a computer had an issue. Some says OEM is attached with motherboard, but I saw recently it's also changed. now it's attached to your Microsoft account.

jstateson

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2015
From what I understand, the windows license goes with the motherboard. OEM motherboards (Dell, HP, etc have OEM license and their bios's contains a table (SLIC) of license information. One can obtain (for example) the Dell DVD with vista or win7 and install it on your used Dell motherboard and activate it using the corresponding Dell key. You can buy the DVD and the key from anyone on eBay or you can simply google for the key and the ISO image. It helps to know if the bios supports vista (SLIC 2) or win7 (SLIC 2.1) as it is currently (Jan 2019) still possible to upgrade 7 to windows 10 (thanks Microsoft!) at no cost from any activated win7 system (but not from vista). I have bought 1 used HP and 2 used Dell motherboards and installed Win7 and upgraded to 10 at no cost other than the hardware. A few years back Microsoft made it possible to activate win10 by using the original win 7 or win 8 product key. This works only if the motherboard was previously activated under win7 or win8. I have not tried this yet but it should work on any OEM system that has an SLIC 2.1 or later. If a windows "10" key is sold and used possibly microsoft's license server detects the system had a legitimate license at one time an simply activates 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.