Fast question upgrading rams for old pc

Solution
It may work. But, as always when mixing sticks not from a kit, there is no guaranty it will work. It has same specs (save for size, but that does not matter), so chances are good.
2x4 or 1x8 - better is 2x4, since you keep dual channel, while you lose it with 1x8.
It may work. But, as always when mixing sticks not from a kit, there is no guaranty it will work. It has same specs (save for size, but that does not matter), so chances are good.
2x4 or 1x8 - better is 2x4, since you keep dual channel, while you lose it with 1x8.

Solution

Monzer_1

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
So It's better if I picked the same rams right ? I heard it's even have to be made in the same year or something is that true ? and now would I even know that ? what the worst could happen if its not compatible ?

Nah, in most cases it should be enough to pick ram with same specs. Trying to get even better match makes little sense, as it increases your chance only marginally.
Worst case scenario if you mix sticks - system not boot at all. Or may boot but not see the additional ram. Or work almost normally but cause BSODs.
Generally, if trying to mix ram sticks, you have to prepare plan B in case they refuse to work. Usually it is done by having option to return newly bought RAM to seller for refund. Since not every shop allows that, you have to make sure you can do that before buying. That way you even if you are out of luck, you lose nothing (save shipping cost perhaps).

TRENDING THREADS