Fast Ram with Ryzen 7

Schweetie

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
I have 3200mhz ram and when I enable XMP it goes to the full 3200mhz but my computer is very unstable so I had to disable it.

Does anyone know how I can get the full performance out of my ram and still remain stable with my Ryzen 7 1800x.

Solution
Like I said before your XMP profile will not work with OC RAM. Disable it.

The main Primary Timings are CL, tRCD, tRP, tRAS and CMD rate.
Here is a brief explanation:

CL: CAS Latency. The time it takes between a command having been sent to the memory and when it begins to reply to it. It is the time it takes between the processor asking for some data from the memory and then returning it.

tRCD: RAS to CAS Delay. The time it takes between the activation of the line (RAS) and the column (CAS) where the data are stored in the matrix.

tRP: RAS Precharge. The time it takes between disabling the access to a line of data and the beginning of the access to another line of data.

tRAS: Active to Precharge Delay. How long the memory has to...
Hi Schweetie :)

I have the same CPU and had to Tweak Bios to get my RAM to their rated speed.
As they are working it may just require a slight increase in DRAM Voltage or loosen Primary Timings 1 point.
Early Bios did not allow for 2T in Command Rate so make sure your Bios is up to date and try that.

What makes you feel that the instability is caused by your RAM.?

You can test your system under load using AIDA64 to test stability of CPU, FPU and Cache. There is also a test for GPU and RAM.
If still unsure then list your full system specs.

Schweetie

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

I am pretty confident it is the ram but I will list my specs just in case you notice anything.

CPU: Ryzen 7 1800x
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Masterliquid 240
Mobo: Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5
RAM: 16gb G.Skill RIpjaws rated for 3200mhz
GPU: EGA GTX 1070 Superclocked
PSU: EVGA 750 Watt Gold Rated

Also I am not sure how to change the settings you recommended changing because I am not experienced with using the bios much whatsoever.

Here is a list of tested RAM for your MB. Do they appear on the list.? Check the Part Number.

gvRytqz.jpg

3200MHz RAM is considered OC RAM so you had better familiarize and brush up on your Bios experience as you will need it to get stability.

Schweetie

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

f4-3200c16d-16gvkb
Which seems to be the first one under g.skill but that list says 8gb and I am using 16 not sure if that makes a difference as long as its the same

Schweetie

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

Seems to be on the list but my computer seemed pretty unstable when i enabled the xmp. I will try those steps shortly and respond when I do.

Yes they are the same. 16GB X2.

Schweetie

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

So do you know why my computer seemed to be unstable while I had the xmp enabled? I still have yet to try the other person's steps.

Why because 3200MHz is OC RAM and not the JDEC standard. That's why XMP profiles don't work.
Don't be frightened to go into your Bios as this is where you achieve stability. We are here to answer any issues you have in Bios.
To fully determine your instability you will have to do some stress tests as suggested.

For a better chance of getting your RAM to work you should update the Bios to Version F9a.
In Bios go to M.I.T>"Memory Timing Mode" and set your SPD values.
Then go to>"Advanced Voltage Settings" and set your DRAM voltage to 1.35V

Schweetie

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

Earlier I upgraded my bios to f9a but then it wasnt letting me adjust the rgb on the motherboard so i actually ended up downgrading it to the previous one. But I will attempt to go into my bios right now and try to make it work.

Schweetie

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

When I go to MIT and select Memory Timing Mode, I can make it auto(default), manual, or advanced manual. I do not know what SPD values mean also the voltage is grayed out and I cannot edit it so i do not know how to make it so I can edit it.

*edit*
I changed the voltage, however I did not know how to change the timing but everything you two told me to change was basically what the xmp profile changed, so I temporarily changed it to the xmp profile 1. How can I stress test the ram to make sure it is working well and not unstable?

SPD values are your Primary Timings and you can get them from CPUz in the SPD and Memory tabs.

Memory Timing Mode
Manual and Advanced Manual allows the Channel Interleaving, Rank Interleaving, and memory timing settings below to be configurable. Options are: Auto (default), Manual, Advanced Manual.

Set this to Advanced Manual.

Schweetie

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

Sorry but I am very confused on what I am supposed to be changing. After I set the Memory Timing Mode to advanced manual, I can change the channel interleaving and rank interleaving to either auto enabled or disabled.
And I am still confused on what these SPD values are and what I am supposed to change in my bios.

Also while I had the xmp profile enabled, my computer crashed entirely. The xmp profile included the 16 16 18 18 38 timings and a voltage of 1.35.

Like I said before your XMP profile will not work with OC RAM. Disable it.

The main Primary Timings are CL, tRCD, tRP, tRAS and CMD rate.
Here is a brief explanation:

CL: CAS Latency. The time it takes between a command having been sent to the memory and when it begins to reply to it. It is the time it takes between the processor asking for some data from the memory and then returning it.

tRCD: RAS to CAS Delay. The time it takes between the activation of the line (RAS) and the column (CAS) where the data are stored in the matrix.

tRP: RAS Precharge. The time it takes between disabling the access to a line of data and the beginning of the access to another line of data.

tRAS: Active to Precharge Delay. How long the memory has to wait until the next access to the memory can be initiated.

CMD: Command Rate. The time it takes between the memory chip having been activated and when the first command may be sent to the memory. Sometimes this value is not announced. It usually is T1 (1 clock cycle) or T2 (2 clock cycles).

CPUz will show these SPD (serial presence detect) values and are supposed to work at the default Voltage. Sometimes it requires an increase in voltage or looser Timings to get them to work.

If this is all too much and you can't get stability then you should take your system to an experienced computer technician or get a kit of RAM at a rated speed that will work.
All the above is fundamental for Overclocking.

Solution

RAM stability can be checked using MEMTEST86 and booting from a USB stick or AIDA64 will test them too.

Schweetie

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

I was able to get my ram running what seems to be pretty stable at 3066Mhz by setting the XMP profile and decreasing the MHz from 3200 to 3066.

Well stability is the main thing. If your stable then leave it at 3066MHz as there's not a great deal of difference in performance.
Regarding your AURA RGB lights on the MB, others have updated the Bios and found the same thing that they had lost control of RGB however reinstalling the software fixed that.