[SOLVED] Fast Wifi Speed, Occasional Lag In Game

Sep 14, 2019
Hey Guys,

So as you can tell from the title. I am having occasional lag while playing video games. The two games I play mostly are Modern Warfare and Rainbow Six. In-game I will occasionally get the red or yellow plug icon. Which means a connection problem from what I can tell. I pay for up to 300mbps through cox. After running some speed tests. I have the results posted below.

Speedtest.net - Ping 7MS - Download 172.68MBPS - Upload 7.94
Fast.com - Ping 10MS - Download 210MBPS - Upload 30
Google M-Lab - Ping 13MS - Download 29.8MBPS - Upload 26.3

For some reason, Google's speed test download always caps at 30MBPS. I have no clue as to why. On my gaming laptop and phone, my google speed test does not cap at 30mpbs. So my two questions are. Does anyone know why my google speed test on my gaming PC caps at 30MBPS? And why does my game lag sometimes even with really good internet speed? I can go on youtube and stream 4k video no problem. In-game however I seem to have network issues. I have my PC specs below for those who are curious.

My Gaming Rig -
Case - Fractal Meshify S2
MotherBoard - MSI - MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
GPU - EVGA SuperClocked GTX 1060 6GB
CPU - Intel Core i7-9700k CPU
Memory - 16 GB DDR4 @ 3200Mhz
Storage - 2X 250GB SSD / 2TB HDD
Power Supply - Corsair RM750 80Plus Gold
OS - Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Solution
The speeds in the 200 range are what is expected on wifi. Don;t believe crap like 1.73G. That is using a non standard data encoding not supported by most routers. In addition it is the fairly standard lies where they add transmit and receive speed together even though wifi can not actually transmit and receive at the same instant.

In any case the speed does not matter to games. Most games need well under 1mbps up and down.

If there is any possibility you need to test with ethernet cables just to be sure.

The problem you see is extremely common when you use wifi to play games. Wifi gets random delays (ie ping spikes) because of damage to the data because of interference. Things like youtube and most other applications...
Sep 14, 2019
Which version of Windows 10 are you on? Might want to see if you've got a BIOS update pending for your motherboard. Being on a WiFi connection, you forgot to mention the make and model of your wireless adapter.

OS Build States it's up to date at OS Build 18362.476
My bios and network card drivers have been updated to the latest patch via MSI's website. My network card is the one that came with my motherboard. Intel Wireless AC 9560. According to MSI's website, it supports up to 1.73GBPS on 5ghz networks.

The speeds in the 200 range are what is expected on wifi. Don;t believe crap like 1.73G. That is using a non standard data encoding not supported by most routers. In addition it is the fairly standard lies where they add transmit and receive speed together even though wifi can not actually transmit and receive at the same instant.

In any case the speed does not matter to games. Most games need well under 1mbps up and down.

If there is any possibility you need to test with ethernet cables just to be sure.

The problem you see is extremely common when you use wifi to play games. Wifi gets random delays (ie ping spikes) because of damage to the data because of interference. Things like youtube and most other applications can hide these delays by buffering data. Games are real time so can not delay data and in addition they actually use the timing between packets to sync your client to the server. Wifi and online games is the worst possible combination. Pretty much nothing other than say video conferencing is affected by wifi retransmission delays.

Still you first step is to see if it is really the wifi or maybe it is something else that can be fixed. Wifi interference is almost impossible to do much about.

Solution
Sep 14, 2019

The problem you see is extremely common when you use wifi to play games. Wifi gets random delays (ie ping spikes) because of damage to the data because of interference. Things like youtube and most other applications can hide these delays by buffering data. Games are real time so can not delay data and in addition they actually use the timing between packets to sync your client to the server. Wifi and online games is the worst possible combination. Pretty much nothing other than say video conferencing is affected by wifi retransmission delays.

Still you first step is to see if it is really the wifi or maybe it is something else that can be fixed. Wifi interference is almost impossible to do much about.
Thanks for the replies. I think the biggest things that stumps me is that I have no idea why google is capping at 30 on their speed test. But on my laptop and phone im getting almost 300 download. Cant figure out the issue. I was only getting 25 mbps in my old home yet never got these icons. And now with 300 im getting icons. Just confused and feel like I shouldint be paying for this speed.

You always need to test on ethernet to be sure the ISP provides what they promise. You should get very close to 300mbps you pay for.

The problem with testing as you have found is some sites test at different speeds. This is because you connectivity might pass different ISP or use a different fiber path. You can see this by choosing different speed test sites in different cities. Even choosing a different speedtest site in the same city can sometimes have very different results. This can be because the server is different or maybe there is a issue with the connectivity between your ISP and the ISP that the speedtest server provider is using.

You will always get the very fastest test results if you can use a speedtest server that your ISP runs. Not all ISP have their own speedtest servers.

if your using a router of any kind make sure if its under heavy usage to use a external laptop cooling pad it will save the hardware i find alot of routers overheat as the chips in these things have crappy heatsinks if any and the operating temperature of these chips is like 40c.

my router actually died and was hot to the touch

also any game i would recomend a cable then over wifi as like above the wifi dongles etc will get insanely hot

TRENDING THREADS