Question Fastboot, bsod.

Jul 28, 2020
Quick question, i disabled fastboot bcse of kernel 41 error, do i need to disable it on BIOS too? Or if i just disable it on OS its ok?

Colif

Win 11 Master
fast startup in windows isn't the same as fast boot in bios.
fast startup in windows - With this on, a pc when shut down isn't off. Its sleeping. Meant to speed up startup but it can trip drivers over
Fast boot in bios just skips a few checks the bios does before handing control to windows

kernel event 41 is a reaction to an unexpected restart, its not an error. It is created after the crash has happened.

Jul 28, 2020
fast startup in windows - With this on, a pc when shut down isn't off. Its sleeping. Meant to speed up startup but it can trip drivers over
Fast boot in bios just skips a few checks the bios does before handing control to windows

kernel event 41 is a reaction to an unexpected restart, its not an error. It is created after the crash has happened.
So what are you saying? Kernel is a reaction to a unexpected restart. What do you mean by that? And do i need to disable fastboot on bios? Bcse on windows i think that migth be the problem of my crashes.

Colif

Win 11 Master
you need to work out what is causing the restarts. Kernel event 41 is the result of a report windows runs at startup, after the error. If it finds the previous shutdown was unexpected, it creates event 41.

You can turn off fast boot in bios if you want, all it does is skips a few checks the bios normally does before handing control to windows. Not sure if it can cause restarts though.

What are the specs if the PC?

are you getting any bsod? When does it restart? Any time or in games?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. copy that file to documents
  2. upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site,
  3. and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Reactions: fastro
Jul 28, 2020
Usually 10-20 minutes after the boot, no BSOD, BUT i did some diagnostic with things like bugcheckcode and if it shows 0 it means no bsod in the other hand if bugcheckcode shows something it means that it actually was a bsod and it was bcse of the OS fault, now the weird thing is that in the diagnostic it showed sometimes with numbers and the last 2 after i messed with the pc config it showed 0, weird...im on vacation, returning in 3-2 days, i will let you know about when i did what you told me to do, i am also trying undeclock, turning a bunch of setting to never, i have planned to the last thing i would do is update the bios, turn off C-state, and uefi (im amd)
Specs:
Ryzen 5 1600
Rx 580 8gb
2 sticks of 8gb xpg 3000mhz
Gygabite b700h 80plus bronze
1tb barracuda

Jul 28, 2020
you need to work out what is causing the restarts. Kernel event 41 is the result of a report windows runs at startup, after the error. If it finds the previous shutdown was unexpected, it creates event 41.

You can turn off fast boot in bios if you want, all it does is skips a few checks the bios normally does before handing control to windows. Not sure if it can cause restarts though.

What are the specs if the PC?

are you getting any bsod? When does it restart? Any time or in games?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. copy that file to documents
  2. upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site,
  3. and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem
And one more thing, i will obviously check it out when im home but i tried to read it and i got sooo confused, what should i do? No dumps mini dumps, kernel dumps? I didnt understand anything lol

Colif

Win 11 Master
And one more thing, i will obviously check it out when im home but i tried to read it and i got sooo confused, what should i do? No dumps mini dumps, kernel dumps? I didnt understand anything lol

option 1, steps 1 to 6 show you where to go to set up the screen used to set up the system to produce minidump reports. then look at the details in the picture under
Small Memory Dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD
and make sure your screen is the same.
you can ignore all the other choices.

Jul 28, 2020

I found a video, can i do what this guy is telling me to do in the vid? Is it the same thing? Thanks
View: https://youtu.be/V_jWKHwxnqE

Jul 28, 2020
option 1, steps 1 to 6 show you where to go to set up the screen used to set up the system to produce minidump reports. then look at the details in the picture under
Small Memory Dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD
and make sure your screen is the same.
you can ignore all the other choices.
What do you mean by make sure your screen is the same? Can it damage my pc? And why minidump? Isnt complete dumps better?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can it damage my pc?
no
Isnt complete dumps better?
complete dumps can be many gb in size, minidumps are at most a few mb. they include the information that relates to the crash.
the person I ask to convert dumps has slow internet. if the files are several gb in size it takes too long to download them.

video - depending how new your version of windows 10 is, the steps he shows may not work now.
recently the steps you need to take to get to the screen he uses to get to the start up & recovery screen have changed

If you on new win 10 version
there is a different way to get to the startup & recovery settings screen
go to settings/system/about
click Advanced System Settings on right hand side
click settings under Startup & recovery

video looks pretty good otherwise.

Jul 28, 2020
no

complete dumps can be many gb in size, minidumps are at most a few mb. they include the information that relates to the crash.
the person I ask to convert dumps has slow internet. if the files are several gb in size it takes too long to download them.

video - depending how new your version of windows 10 is, the steps he shows may not work now.
recently the steps you need to take to get to the screen he uses to get to the start up & recovery screen have changed

If you on new win 10 version
there is a different way to get to the startup & recovery settings screen
go to settings/system/about
click Advanced System Settings on right hand side
click settings under Startup & recovery

video looks pretty good otherwise.
I have the latest version, h20 something like that i dont remember the name of it, should i do it your way? Or his way is fine for my version?and once the crash happend where can i find the minidumps? And what does it mean if the pc crashed but there is no minidp? Bcse my problem does not show a bsod, the screen makes a buzzing sound and it goes black, the keyboard and mouse is turned off and the pc still runs but i have to force the restart

Colif

Win 11 Master
they both lead to same menus. If you on 20H2 you will find the screen after choosing System in control panel isn't the same anymore.

Microsoft are slowly moving the functions in Control panel into Settings as eventually control panel won't exist.

And what does it mean if the pc crashed but there is no minidp? Bcse my problem does not show a bsod, the screen makes a buzzing sound and it goes black, the keyboard and mouse is turned off and the pc still runs but i have to force the restart
that can still be drivers. the buzzing sound can be caused by drivers.

what are the specs of the PC?

Colif

Win 11 Master
How old is the system?

I can't find any good reviews of that PSU, just people being told not to buy it. I have heard Gigabyte PSU aren't the best.
if screen goes off and usb also go off, that can be a sign pc doesn't have enough power to run all of those and keep PC running at same time.

its difficult to confirm its Power though as the monitoring software isn't always accurate and the only real way to know is using a multimixer attached to PSU while its running.

Jul 28, 2020
How old is the system?

I can't find any good reviews of that PSU, just people being told not to buy it. I have heard Gigabyte PSU aren't the best.
if screen goes off and usb also go off, that can be a sign pc doesn't have enough power to run all of those and keep PC running at same time.

its difficult to confirm its Power though as the monitoring software isn't always accurate and the only real way to know is using a multimixer attached to PSU while its running.
they both lead to same menus. If you on 20H2 you will find the screen after choosing System in control panel isn't the same anymore.

Microsoft are slowly moving the functions in Control panel into Settings as eventually control panel won't exist.

that can still be drivers. the buzzing sound ca
How old is the system?

1 year, so should i buy other psu? What cheap psu do you recomend? I live in argentina tho.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Something by Corsair or EVGA probably do a better job.

I am in Australia so not sure where you would buy it from.

Goof PSU hard to find right now, so i wouldn't just buy anything as I see that the bad PSU makers are pushing their wares hard right now. I wouldn't get anything from Gamemax or Aresgame, for instance, as they are worse than what you have now. At least Gigabyte are a known brand and you can contact people there.

Jul 28, 2020
Something by Corsair or EVGA probably do a better job.

I am in Australia so not sure where you would buy it from.

Goof PSU hard to find right now, so i wouldn't just buy anything as I see that the bad PSU makers are pushing their wares hard right now. I wouldn't get anything from Gamemax or Aresgame, for instance, as they are worse than what you have now. At least Gigabyte are a known brand and you can contact people there.
Can i add up one thing? So my crashes been hapening for a long time, with time it got 20 times better, can it really be the psu??

Jul 28, 2020
How about setting up dumps and giving me the sysnative report, and I see what it shows me.

I don't want to have you spend money on psu if its not it :)
Sure! That is exactly what i will do, thanks for all the help, seriously, you are the best :) one more thing if the crash happens where i can fine the mini dump info?

Colif

Win 11 Master
The minidump files need to be read by a particular program called windbg but my friend has written a program can can convert the results into a format I can read.

If you go to c:/windows/minidump after next crash there should be a dmp file in there
copy it to another folder as you don't own that file, its controlled by the system. You will own the copy though
Upload that copy from new folder to a file sharing website like Google Drive or Microsoft Onedrive
share the file and show a link here so I can send it to my friend.

Jul 28, 2020
The minidump files need to be read by a particular program called windbg but my friend has written a program can can convert the results into a format I can read.

If you go to c:/windows/minidump after next crash there should be a dmp file in there
copy it to another folder as you don't own that file, its controlled by the system. You will own the copy though
Upload that copy from new folder to a file sharing website like Google Drive or Microsoft Onedrive
share the file and show a link here so I can send it to my friend.
Ok! Thanks for all the help!, i will get home in 3 days.