[SOLVED] Faster CPU, More RAM, and a slower PC

Mar 31, 2020
I just upgraded to a Ryzen 5 3600x from a Ryzen 5 2600 and added 32 GB ram. My computer seems slower (boot time mainly but some small freezes here and there). Here’s what I’ve got:

Ryzen 5 3600x 3.8
Corsair Vengeance 16 2x8GB 3200mhz
Corsair Vengeance 32 2x16GB 3200mhz (exactly the same I believe just different capacities so I don’t understand this at all)
GTX 1070ti
Corsair CX650M
MSI B350 Tomahawk
WD 1TB 7200rpm
WD 1TB SSD
Kingston 240GB SSD (this is my windows drive)

My RAM is using an XMP profile which is 3200mhz 16-18-18-36.
I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing wrong. I did run a windows memory diagnostic test and it did say that I have a memory problem. I don’t even know where to begin with that. This is my first build and I just thought I knew what I was doing. I was beyond wrong. The old CPU and 16GB I felt like ran much faster than this. I’m beginning to feel as if I jumped the gun and wasted my money buying the new CPU. If there is any more information I left out, I’d be glad to get it.
Thanks in advance!

Solution
hi, xmp profile on your sticks are tuned for 2 sticks, for running it at 4 sticks u may need to manualy alter some timings and maybe voltages too
as far as ram stability goes, reduce frequency until u get zero errors in memtest86

make sure your bios is up to date and try reinstalling amd chipset drivers and uninstall drivers for amd sata drivers from device manager
hi, xmp profile on your sticks are tuned for 2 sticks, for running it at 4 sticks u may need to manualy alter some timings and maybe voltages too
as far as ram stability goes, reduce frequency until u get zero errors in memtest86

make sure your bios is up to date and try reinstalling amd chipset drivers and uninstall drivers for amd sata drivers from device manager

Solution
Mixing different kits, even those with the same 3200/3600 MHz rating, is not off to a good start...

At a minimum, I'd not be surprised if you needed to lower RAM clock speed to gain stability.

If things don't go well and continue to seem 'botched', try removing the old RAM kit, and running strictly off of the new 32 GB (16 GB x 2) kit...

Reactions: CountMike