[SOLVED] Faster file transferring?

Mar 23, 2020
Hi Everyone

I have a 2TB full of games i am trying to transfer over to an external hard drive. I've tried many programs but they're all brutally slow

I have windows 10 and windows 7
I7 4790
16GB ram
250GB SSD
6TB WD Black where the games are located
External hard drive is a seagate st2000lm007-1r8174

Programs i have tried are fastcopy, teracopy, richcopy 360 and i think they're all the same as far as speed
Windows 10 is constantly up and down from 150MB all the way down to 50KBs
Windows 7 seems to be the fastest where 13MB is the slowest but its never been in the KB's. It seems to be the most stable
I have gone into device manager for each drive and ticked "better performance"
The external hard drive is formatted to fatx so i don't know if that's the hold up
I have tried plugging in the external hard drive via USB 3.0
I currently have the external hard drive connected inside my desktop via sata and power directly. It helps a little but not much
I dont know if there is a setting i need to do or what? Perhaps with the write speed of the WD Black?

Suggestions

Solution
It is "slow" for 2 reasons.
Thousands of tiny files, and "an external hard drive ".

Thousands of small files through the USB interface WILL be slow.

There is no setting or anything you can change.
Just let it run.

USAFRet

Titan

Just let it run.

Solution
Hi Everyone

I have a 2TB full of games i am trying to transfer over to an external hard drive. I've tried many programs but they're all brutally slow

I have windows 10 and windows 7
I7 4790
16GB ram
250GB SSD
6TB WD Black where the games are located
External hard drive is a seagate st2000lm007-1r8174

Programs i have tried are fastcopy, teracopy, richcopy 360 and i think they're all the same as far as speed
Windows 10 is constantly up and down from 150MB all the way down to 50KBs
Windows 7 seems to be the fastest where 13MB is the slowest but its never been in the KB's. It seems to be the most stable
I have gone into device manager for each drive and ticked "better performance"
The external hard drive is formatted to fatx so i don't know if that's the hold up
I have tried plugging in the external hard drive via USB 3.0
I currently have the external hard drive connected inside my desktop via sata and power directly. It helps a little but not much
I dont know if there is a setting i need to do or what? Perhaps with the write speed of the WD Black?

Suggestions

Those types of file transfer programs for the most part or gimmicks and scams. You are limited by the hardware interface and the types of files you are transferring. If it were several large files they would go faster then the much smaller files USAFRet pointed out.

You are just going to have to wait.

Also be aware in most cases you cant just drag and drop games from one drive to another because of file paths. Steam and several other game launchers have features specific to do this.

USAFRet

Titan
If these are Steam games, you need to do it this way:
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

Mar 23, 2020

Just let it run.

I had a feeling. I tried everything possible that i could think of before i posted a question. Windows 7 it is. The speed is solid and stable without all the up and down speeds
Thank you