[SOLVED] Faster RAM clock than CPU supports

JunkSniperJoe

Prominent
Feb 15, 2021
It turns out I've purchased faster RAM (3600mhz) than what my CPU memory controller supports (3200mhz). I've already completed this build and haven't run into any issues so far, but I wanted to ask if there might be any stability issues later down the line. RAM is on the qualified vendors list for the Mobo. DOCP is turned on.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card
Case: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
There's no limit on ram support by cpu.
Ram support is limited by the motherboard, specifically the bios.

As far as your ram goes, it's actually under-rated for a 5 series Ryzen. The x570 chipset is supposedly rated for an fclock of 2000MHz, but nobody has really hit that number yet and maintained stability. So generally an fclock of 1900MHz is what ppl are aiming for.

Fclock is part of the Infinity Fabric used by AMD to facilitate communications between the cores and seperate chiplets under the IHS. There's 3 - 4 chiplets in a 5 series Ryzen. Infinity Fabric clocks are set by the data rate of your ram. So if you have 3600MHz ram, that's dual data rate, the data rate being 1800MHz. And that's your current fclock. Most higher end...
Your Ryzen 5600X supports 3200MHz but it can easily support 3600MHz.

People have been using 3600MHz with XMP/DOCP profile from Ryzen 3000 series. I use 3600MHz XMP on my 3900X.

You're totally fine if the RAM is at 3600MHz right now and you don't see any instabilities like crashing and BSOD.

Your RAM is just running at the advertised speed with a CPU that can support it no problems.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's no limit on ram support by cpu.
Ram support is limited by the motherboard, specifically the bios.

As far as your ram goes, it's actually under-rated for a 5 series Ryzen. The x570 chipset is supposedly rated for an fclock of 2000MHz, but nobody has really hit that number yet and maintained stability. So generally an fclock of 1900MHz is what ppl are aiming for.

Fclock is part of the Infinity Fabric used by AMD to facilitate communications between the cores and seperate chiplets under the IHS. There's 3 - 4 chiplets in a 5 series Ryzen. Infinity Fabric clocks are set by the data rate of your ram. So if you have 3600MHz ram, that's dual data rate, the data rate being 1800MHz. And that's your current fclock. Most higher end Amd builds tend to go for 3800MHz ram, that gives them the 1900 fclock.

So No, you will not have any issues 'down the line' you are quite safe from that since you aren't pushing limits.

Solution