News Faster Than Threadripper: How I Overclocked Ryzen 9 5950X to 6 GHz and a World Record

bwana

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Why do you 'jounalists' insist on advertising stuff we cannot get? Great, so you hit a new record on Ryzen. Now, besides increasing global demand and driving up prices, what else do YOU get out of it? How about keeping this kind of banter on Extremesystems.org. ? What would REALLY get you clicks (isnt that what YOU get out of all this after all?) is showing us (the unfed masses) how to improve what we have. How about putting an aftermarket cooler on our gpus to oc them? (instead of driving demand by hawking those products). How about showing us how to do a pencil mod to lift power targets? How about showing us how to use elmor's chip on hardware we ALREADY have?

johnners2981

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Why do you 'jounalists' insist on advertising stuff we cannot get? Great, so you hit a new record on Ryzen. Now, besides increasing global demand and driving up prices, what else do YOU get out of it? How about keeping this kind of banter on Extremesystems.org. ? What would REALLY get you clicks (isnt that what YOU get out of all this after all?) is showing us (the unfed masses) how to improve what we have. How about putting an aftermarket cooler on our gpus to oc them? (instead of driving demand by hawking those products). How about showing us how to do a pencil mod to lift power targets? How about showing us how to use elmor's chip on hardware we ALREADY have?

What's with the anger to an innocuous yet informative and interesting article? You don't speak for all readers on this website and from your comment you come across as very self centred and entitled. These journalists don't owe you anything and they don't have to pander to your interests.

splave

Contributing Writer
Editor
Jan 4, 2019
Now, besides increasing global demand and driving up prices, what else do YOU get out of it? How about keeping this kind of banter on Extremesystems.org. ?
That's quite a compliment, I single handedly am raising the prices and want for ryzen . Please forward this information to AMD so they can cut me a check. Also I was banned from extremesystems 12 years ago for being too extreme. Thanks again for clicking! Happy holidays.

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
@splave thanks for the article ! keep it up !

bwana, just wait a few months if you want a 5000 cpu or a new gen gpu. offer will meet demand eventually.

or just bought last gen used. i just got a gamingX 2080ti with ek waterblock for 800CAD used. tested with the seller. I love local classified ads.

Tanquen

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Forget the fact that most can't get one, why is LN2 a thing? It's so wasteful and you can't even run it for real day to day PC stuff. They should just try and best the scores on water or air or best OC with under $100 in parts.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
@splave congratulations and thank you for the article! My Ryzen 7 5800x was doing Cinebench R20 runs yesterday at 4.8ghz with 1.3v, LLC level 3, temps at 72-74c with a coolermaster masterliquid ML240R and I was closing in on threadripper 1950x scores. After reading this article, it makes me curious to know how this chip would do under LN2.

Reactions: splave

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
or just bought last gen used. i just got a gamingX 2080ti with ek waterblock for 800CAD used. tested with the seller. I love local classified ads.
Did you buy that now? If you did that's an amazing deal... wow. I would buy that too if I had such a deal.
In my part of EU, even the used market is so expensive that you can't buy anything. 800CAD = 515 EUR, the cheapest RTX 2080ti (no waterblock) is 730 EUR... so yeah, we're <<Removed by moderator>> here from all sides.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get the Ryzen 5000 series in Germany if you are patient enough, I ordered a 5900x from Aleternate for 609€ which is OK on the 5th of November, I got the notification that it is being shipped on Monday so if you just wait a few weeks you can get them at OK prices.

TechLurker

Reputable
Feb 6, 2020
Personally, it's great to see what potential these new chips have. I can only imagine just how much better TR and EPYC on the same Zen 3 Arch will be. One thing I do hope for though; is that TR really needs a new "budget" 16-core/32-thread TR chip; mainly for those needing more I/O than more cores. Given how well the 5950X does, a TR "version" could potentially do just as well, if not better, thanks to a larger heatspreader allowing for longer sustained high-clocks.

On the Ryzen side of things, I do wonder if we'll see a possible 5950XT variant (among some other XT variants) to compete further with Intel's eventual CPU release in Q1 2021; moreso since Zen 4 isn't due out until 2022 (according to official timelines). Given some node maturation (maybe even move to TSMC 6nm), it wouldn't be unusual to see a theoretical 5950XT able to sustain 5Ghz or better.

Reactions: splave

Gomez Addams

Prominent
Mar 4, 2020
If you think about PBO and AMD’s other features that boost clock speed, they will use the higher-binned chiplet CCD 0 for high frequency, and if more threads are called, the processor will drop frequency a bit and load the CCD 1 threads while maintaining the power envelope figures.

That's not how it works. The OS's scheduler decides where threads will run with some degree of customization available via affinity settings while the processor controls frequency and power distribution. The OS does not always assign threads to a single core either. It uses more of a round-robin approach to that. However, for longer or continually running threads they are rarely moved between physical cores because that leads to cache-thrashing. They can often swap logical cores on the same physical core because that has no effect on the caches.

wujj123456

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
Forget the fact that most can't get one, why is LN2 a thing? It's so wasteful and you can't even run it for real day to day PC stuff. They should just try and best the scores on water or air or best OC with under $100 in parts.
It's kind of things cool to learn even though I will likely never do it myself. You still learn a bit here and there, like how CCD0 is always better than CCD1, by how much, etc. I find overclockers usually go through more samples than a normal review, which provides a more complete picture of the quality of silicon.

Many times people push for boundaries, they inevitably uncover some interesting details that helps with everyone's understanding. Even if not, reading such things is how you might pick up a new hobby. I really don't get why people are upset just because they don't care, won't do it, or couldn't buy it now. We are all busy. Just skip it if it doesn't seem interesting to you...

saunupe1911

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
I know every motherboard is different but these type of article are pointless without settings and tips for achieving the speeds. All you can say is whoopty do smh.

samopa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
I myself find this article informative and entertaining.

Let's put it this way, the F1 racing car is so wasteful that it can only one or two race before need a complete over haul, It cost so much that only few select people can afford it, It so impractical, that no one would ride it for real day to day transportation, but it still amusing and entertaining for many of people out there.

I think splave as one of CPU F1 Racing driver.

Reactions: P1nky

Makinen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
What actually bothered me with the article was the subtle but also obvious and insencere advertisement of one of the most problematic AIO's out there, the Enermax...
This is what people should be up in arms about, not the extreme LN2 stuff, and no one seems to have picked up on it...

splave

Contributing Writer
Editor
Jan 4, 2019
That's not how it works. The OS's scheduler decides where threads will run with some degree of customization available via affinity settings while the processor controls frequency and power distribution. The OS does not always assign threads to a single core either. It uses more of a round-robin approach to that. However, for longer or continually running threads they are rarely moved between physical cores because that leads to cache-thrashing. They can often swap logical cores on the same physical core because that has no effect on the caches.
Windows controls thread scheduling.. and it does try to keep related threads within a single ccx to prevent the "cache thrashing". It tries to determine the active foreground application threads, for lightly threaded workloads, and put those threads on the "preferred cores" where they can get the highest boost.. foreground apps should usually be on ccx0 (ccd0) with noise spilling over to ccd1 (And ccd0 is a better bin)
Only recently did win10 (1909) become fully ccx aware, and support preferred core for amd. The information is not wrong, it is in it's simplest form for easier consumption.

What actually bothered me with the article was the subtle but also obvious and insencere advertisement of one of the most problematic AIO's out there, the Enermax...
This is what people should be up in arms about, not the extreme LN2 stuff, and no one seems to have picked up on it...

Rating: 4.3 · ‎77 reviews on amazon? have you tried one before they are excellent. Did a youtuber looking for drama clicks not like them or something?

splave

Contributing Writer
Editor
Jan 4, 2019
The point is if you have to put half a gallon of liquid nitrogen on top of the CPU to keep it cool, that is not a usable system, and if it isn't usable, then it is not a valid overclock. A valid overclock is something where you can actually close up the case and run the system indefinitely at that speed without outside intervention. These extreme overclocking articles impart nothing but useless information on the readers because they can't actually use it for anything practical.
Did you even read it? there is only 2 paragraphs in the entire article about ln2 oc. There is a section on per CCX OC and ambient temperature overclocking as well as information on binning clocks.

Makinen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Literally the only AIO I ever had leaking from the pump... Anyway I am not willing to continue this stone throwing match, as I believe you are unfairly targeted for the o/c record. It's something I am interested to read and definitely do not think is useless of out of place.
But the Enermax placement shows that a sponsorship or something took place that maybe should have been declared in advance.

splave

Contributing Writer
Editor
Jan 4, 2019
Literally the only AIO I ever had leaking from the pump... Anyway I am not willing to continue this stone throwing match, as I believe you are unfairly targeted for the o/c record. It's something I am interested to read and definitely do not think is useless of out of place.
But the Enermax placement shows that a sponsorship or something took place that maybe should have been declared in advance.
You are welcome to your opinion, if it failed on you then that's a flaw for sure and RMA it. If I like a product I use it, I like their PSU so I got their AIO. No one pays me to use their stuff unfortunately, but it the same regard I can be fully transparent with my opinions.

Enermax has had some of the worst threadripper AIOs and Gamers Nexus covered this a few times. They had a lot of failures caused by gunk build up. If yours failed and you RMAed it the revised replacement they sent out also had the same issue.

I don't think this is the case for other Enermax AIO models, but I surely will not be buying any Enermax AIO.

Reactions: Makinen

VTXcnME

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
Looks like 10 chips were taken out of the supply chain for just this testing. Imagine how many 5950's and other 5000 series chips were bought up just to be tested to their absolute limit.

Meanwhile, I still can't get any kind of timetable on purchasing one for actual use.

These tests impacts so few people it's sort of laughable. But I guess if you have access to Liquid Nitrogen cooling... this is great news for you.

As far as everyone I know who builds systems (myself included)... Well we have to stick to the more mundane and far less exotic styles of cooling a CPU. . . so the fact it'll hit over 6ghz (on somewhat exotic cooling) is kind of... well... pointless.

But the chip can do it, and I guess that's all that matters.

Last edited: