Fastest dual core 32-BIT CPU?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

e36_Jeff

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
why exactly are you looking for a board that has 4 rams slots, a 32-bit OS will use, at best 3.5GB, probably closer to 3, possibly less than 3 depending on the total setup. if you drop the 4 ram slot requirement your board is right here:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicati...tails.asp?EdpNo=2896653&body=MAIN#detailspecs

and stop with the getting pissy when someone posts a .com link, we aren't going to do all the research on where to buy for you, we're just going to give you some product names to look for. If your unwilling to do some looking on your own once we have given you some products to look for, then don't expect us to look for you.

EDIT - I didnt notice that board was limited to 2GB, but that should be more than enough for XP, cause you aren't going to get any games that would need more than 2GB to run on an AGP all in wonder

rickpatbrown

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
I'm not sure, but could two slots support ram sticks with 2G density each. 2x2 would be 4 (just for clarity, not insulting your computational skills). You could check the motherboards website.

More importantly, I'm not sure if 3g of ram is necessary for you.

What do you plan on doing with this computer?

e36_Jeff

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
and then there is the problem that he wants a board that I dont think exists(at least not among currently built boards). now that I look at it, newegg doesnt have any AGP boards that can do more than 2GB, which means the likelyhood of a site having a board that can do 3GB w/agp and ships to Canada is extremely low.

seabreeze

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Sad to say, but the world does revolve around America.
It might be sad to say, but even sadder to have heard it said.

Look at the food shortages around the world as a result of biofuel production.
Only two nights ago I listened to an American corn grower (in Ohio, I think) telling a news reporter all the corn sold now for biofuels in the USA is really what would have been excess before the ethanol legislation was passed. Cut to footage of food riots in various countries...

Be careful if you aren’t some badly-educated, provincial Yank who thinks that 100% of all people on the Internet come from the ol’ US of A and that the world revolves around America.
Touché! I found that just plain funny.

Dude, where can I get a pwning dullbozer? I'm all over it.
Indeed. You can only help so many...

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
I don't mean to be mean, but you aren't really that bright. Or more likely just misinformed.

There is no such thing as "wasting a 64bit processor on 32bit software". People have been using 64 bit capable cpus with 32 bit software for a long time, and it in no way "wastes" the cpu power.

And even if it did, why would it matter? The only thing to really consider in your situation is performance, and price to performance ratio. By going with 32 bit only cpu, you will end up paying more and getting less performance, so a really bad price to performance ratio.

It's like if you have ddr2 ram. And you want to get a motherboard that only has slots for ddr2 ram, and not ddr3, because you don't want to "waste" the motherboard. You aren't wasting it, it just has extra features that you won't use. And also, what if the only ddr2 motherboard both cost more, and gave you less stability or performance or whatever? It just makes sense to go with the faster, cheaper option.

And even so, what you are asking is impossible. Well, maybe not. But I've been looking at tigerdirect.ca and ncix.com and I can't find any motherboards that can support up to 3gb of ram and also have agp. So your requirement of a 32 bit only processor doesn't even matter if you can't find a motherboard to do what you want.

rickpatbrown

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
Only two nights ago I listened to an American corn grower (in Ohio, I think) telling a news reporter all the corn sold now for biofuels in the USA is really what would have been excess before the ethanol legislation was passed. Cut to footage of food riots in various countries...

Excess ? I don't know if it's worse if he is lying or telling the truth. I guess we can take comfort in the fact that he probably doesn't know.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Repeat after me: Unless you are getting a Unix server (Sun, PowerPc, HP, Itanium, etc) there is NO 64 bit cpu available. All current x86 processors are 32 bit with 64 bit extensions. Whether you get an OS that is capable of taking advantage of them is up to you, but they are all NATIVE 32 bit processors.

Your real issue is finding a good, legacy AGP board that has some foture left.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Bottom line...

Your going to spend MORE money looking for this legacy CRAP than you will just replacing that old piece of **** video card that your so fond of.

I had one of the asock boards, DDR and DDR2 support, worked perfectly fine, very cheap, and the AGP + PCI-e solution gave me a nice gentle upgrade path. Ran a C2D E6600, was great a massive improvement over my XP3200+ single core, there was no dual for version, and following that the 64bit marketing hype kicked into overdrive. Marketing Hype being the important phrase in that sentence, yes the CPU's were much better in general, but the 64bit'ness of them was not a major contributing factor, but it was something the guys in teflon suits could shout about.

FFS do some research on the difference between dual core, hyperthreading, 32 bit vs 64 bit (IA32/64, AMD64) SSE2/3, TV capture cards and the reason not to buy obsolete systems or components!

Ignorant fool.

let me point you in the right direction:

hyperthreading = FAKE dual core - tricking the os into thinking theres two processors, unique to the P4's (3.06 b class and above)

dual core = TWO PHYSICAL CORES, or two real processors within the same package

cpus with "dual core" AND "hyperthreading" - some of the Pentium Extreme Editions had 4 threads total (two cores, each with two threads making the 4 usable threads total)

SSE2/3 etc - A crappy celeron D 2.4 has SSE3 and is slower then a Pentium 4 2.4b (without SSE3) at video encoding, so why is SSE3 so important?

dual sockets - Xeon only there for you, making the system price jump, and giving you maybe two cores, which even todays dual core celerons will eat it alive

"64 bit" - all x86 cpus today are deep down true 32 bit cpus and will work with 32 bit os's (windows 95, 98, 2000, ME, xp, NT, 2003, vista. the 64 bit means it has extended instruction sets to allow a fake 64 bit, which mainly allows you to address more then the usual 4gb limit, HAVING A 64 BIT CPU AND OS DOESNT MAKE YOUR SYSTEM ANY FASTER THEN A 32 BIT

if you buy all this outdated rubbish just so you keep your old video card and the video card dies, what do you do then with an obsolete and rubbish system?

do your self a favour and buy your self a system based on an E2180, it will be 10x better then what your thinking, and buy a cheap capture card for hd video.

READ UP ON THINGS BEFORE YOU HAVE A GO AT PEOPLE TRYING TO HELP YOU.

rekabis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008

Believe it or not, but there is a difference between advice and opinion.

Opinion is telling someone what they should be doing. Advice is actually answering their original question.

Care to give some “advice” instead of “opinion”??

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I agree, my dual core intel core duo laptop laptop actually seemed faster than my old athlon64 3200+, it is 32 bit, but the cost of getting the motherboard are stagerring when compared to just getting a low end dual core and being done with it

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
There is no such thing as a 32 bit-only dual core CPU that was sold for desktop use. The only 32 bit-only dual core CPU was the Core Duo for socket M, found in laptops in early 2006. No "Frankenstein" motherboard has ever been made to utilize socket M CPUs along with AGP. Regardless, the Core Duo never had hyperthreading, so it still would not fit your criteria.

You are searching for unicorns.

This is the only mobo that I know of that supports most of what you want (AGP, decent amount of PCI slots, 4GB of DDR ram in dual channel). Good luck finding it though:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=775i65PE&s=775

Obviously you're going to have to compromise on the CPU you want, b/c it simply does not exist. However, a Pentium extreme edition would be dual core, and have SSE2/SSE3 along with hyperthreading (even though it gets outclassed by a Pentium E2160, but hey, if this is what you want...).

This ebay seller has the 840 EE in stock and ships worldwide (including Canada):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Extreme-Edition-840-Dual-Core-3-2-Ghz-775-SL8FK_W0QQitemZ130205455394QQihZ003QQcategoryZ80144QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

I think you are a fool for wanting this crap, when that Asrock motherboard another board member mentioned is cheap and works great for what you want. I truly don't think you understand one bit of what it is you are talking about, and I find it hard to believe you'd need more than 2 GB of ram for anything you plan to do. Oh well.

Everyone has been giving you "advice" and you have been giving us your "64 bit is a waste" opinion which is pure BS

Listen to the THGs Forum Members advice ;)

It would have been faster ;) dual core feels so much faster when your using it.

I think it would be MORE expensive to buy a "true" 32 bit processor. I've got one if you'd like, an awesome P4 2.4 GHz. But seriously, there is no reason to try for one of the old processors. They will end up costing more than a whole new system and perform much worse if you can even find one matching your specs. Oh, and since the cheapest 64-bits are <$50, they aren't charging extra for it anymore.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Just because a CPU can do 64-bit, doesn't mean it can't do 32 just as well. ^ Is right. Currently the e8500 is the fastest mainstream dual cores out there. The e8400 is a way better deal, though. I'm sure there are some older Opterons or Xeon's that are way more powerful though.

@ OP. Can I have some of the weed you're smoking? Is weed in Kelowna legal??

papasmurf211

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
I fail to see the point of what you want. As many have stated just because a CPU supports 64-bit dosnt mean it cant do 32 bit just as good as say a "pure 32-bit" P4. Also there is no Dual core that supports hyper threading, and why are you so obsessed with that ATI all-in-wonder or whatever. Basically the CPU you are asking for would be one that supports 4 threads (dual core with hyperthreading) so why not buy a cheap quad core? You need to read up on some BASIC pc facts before you start asking about these type of things. From what it seems you are a thick headed guy who cant comprehend what some pc experts are saying to you. We are trying to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.