Fastest/largest storage unit for "home enterprise"

Jul 6, 2018
So, I have an enterprise/beefy computer. Every so often I do a full system backup and have the ability to do a bare metal restoration if I need to (i.e if I move to a different computer, don't have to reinstall etc... etc...). That's all fine. I have a backup solution.

I store my large backups on an internal SATA drive. Problem is, it gets filled up quick - maybe after 3 backups. I then have to swap it in/out again and can be a pain at times.

I am thinking about having some storage box, maybe NAS, to hold a bunch of drives and be able to backup to there and restore FROM there.

Questions:

- What and how can I get a FAST network transfer between my desktop computer (1GB port, wired to a Netgear Nighthawk R9000 router) and a potential NAS box? What equip do I need to get REALLY fast transfers for LARGE files? (5GB/file essentially)

- What NAS box, or any other storage unit, would you recommend? Price is not an issue (almost...)

- Is it better to connect the storage unit to the router or directly into the PC (I have 1 PCIe slot available if I need another NIC) to do the transfers? No one else in the house will be using the network or the storage box.

Thank you

Solution
Mac has Time Machine, Window has Shadow Copy Service. As far as transfer rate NAS (Gb) never intended to be fast. only DAS is fast.

On Thunderbolt 3 8 drives from DATOptic T8C-S12.TB3, we loaded with 8x SSD as RAID 6 (two drives fail redundancy). It read/write @ 2200MB/s - a speed that fills a DVD about 2 seconds. Of course, you use 12TB HDD you can have up to 96TB space with reading/write more than 800MB/s. Since it is a Thunderbolt 3 DAS you plug and unplug or tune ON/OFF whenever you want.
You may consider this

Note I'm using MB not Mb (Byte=8 bits)
How frequently do you need the entire drive to be imaged?

Once you have a full image backup, I could not see any reason to keep it longer than a month if a new backup is made....what are the odds you'd revert to a backup image 3 months earlier?

As you get a new image every 'x' amount of time, then delete the oldest.

Jul 6, 2018
Thanks. Yes I do have SSD's however I cannot reinstall everything from scratch. Long story. And that's not quite the issue - the question is about a large storage unit/NAS box and how fast to transfer data between that and the PC as well as what equip is recommended :)

There sometimes is a reason to revert back to an older image - the software used is unfortunately buggy at times but that is the software I need given the nature of the work that I do and the OS's it supports. Then at least I have a previous "working" image I can revert to without much delay.

I backup once every few months but planning on doing it more often. At least once a month when I have the "right" solution in place in terms of a storage box.

FireWire2

Distinguished
Mac has Time Machine, Window has Shadow Copy Service. As far as transfer rate NAS (Gb) never intended to be fast. only DAS is fast.

On Thunderbolt 3 8 drives from DATOptic T8C-S12.TB3, we loaded with 8x SSD as RAID 6 (two drives fail redundancy). It read/write @ 2200MB/s - a speed that fills a DVD about 2 seconds. Of course, you use 12TB HDD you can have up to 96TB space with reading/write more than 800MB/s. Since it is a Thunderbolt 3 DAS you plug and unplug or tune ON/OFF whenever you want.
You may consider this

Note I'm using MB not Mb (Byte=8 bits)

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Read here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3383768/backup-situation-home.html

Latest posts