Fastest Processor for 440BX

G

I would like to know where I can find or what the fastest processor you can buy for a 440BX motherboard is. I have a P2 350 with 128k 100mhz SDRAM on there now and I wanted to upgrade just the processor if I can. I dont know who makes the motherboard or when it was made but I know that it is a 440BX chipset. Maybe If I knew how to determine the manufactured date and the manufacturer it would help but I dont know how. I wanted to know if I could go up to a P3 or if I would have to get a new motherboard for that?

I read on another recent post that you had to probably have a flash BIOS update but I know that my BIOS is Award Software and I dont think that they support Flash updates. I dont know how to determind if my MB supports higher voltage? Maybe if someone could tell me?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by skanther15 on 11/14/00 09:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I've got an Asus P2B board with the 440BX chipset from Intel. I originally had a P2-400 running when purchased and I upgraded to a P3-600 a year ago without any problems. I flashed the BIOS (Award) using the latest BIOS revision released by Asus. You must first determine with an accurate precision what is the model of your board which could be done by writing down the lines appearing on the first boot screen after the Video display detection screen (which is the very first screen appearing at bootup). Press the break/pause button when that screen appears ans write down all info appearing on that screen (rev. numbers, model numbers, etc.) then press the break button again to let the boot process continue. Go to the board manufacturer's Web Site and download all required software (flash utility, bios upgrade) and follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Don't forget that with 440BX you have to stick with Katmai Core CPUs. You can use all Slot1 Katmai CPUs available whatever the speed, even over 600Mhz. Coppermine core CPUs won't work unless you have a recent board revision which can go down to at least 1.8v core.
Note that this experience is based on an Asus P2B board. Visit your board manufacturer's Web Site for precise instructions about your board.
Good luck!

uncoando

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's almost certainly an eeprom, or flashable BIOS. Get sisoftsandra for detailed info on the board and post the specs...

<b><font color=blue>Brainy Sturgeon</b></font color=blue>

G

I did a flash update and atferwards this is what I found out.
My motherboard is made by A-Trend. I have Award Software International BIOS Ver: 1.0 08 WB. The ID code that pops up when you start the computer is...i440BX-W977TF-ATC-6220C-VH.

ATC-6220 1.0 08 WB

Award BIOS v. 4.51

I would still like to know if I can put a P3 maybe 600mhz or possibly up to a 900mhz. I read something about the voltage how you couldnt change it so you couldnt get coppermine over some certain speed. Could I get some clarification on this topic? THanks for any help in advance!