Fat32 or NTFS for windows bootable media backup

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
Does it matter which one? I just made a backup with acronis and my usb says its fat32 format and Im not sure how to change it.

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017

Im creating a backup bootable usb in case I ever run into an issue where my system wont boot up. I was told this is standard practice.

USAFRet

Titan

A Rescue USB?
Used to boot up and provide enough of an environment to read a backup image, and recover to another drive?

FAT32 is it.

The downside to keeping one around is that it will lack all the updates that are included in the latest install files which you can download when you need a new install.

The upside is that at least you will have an install available should you not be able to get into windows to download the latest and greatest.

USAFRet

Titan

Again, this depends on exactly what you're doing.

For instance, I use Macrium Reflect for backup duties.

One of its functions is ti create a Rescue USB or CD. This is NOT the whole OS, but rather a small bootable environment.
Use it to recover an Image that lives on some other drive, and apply that to some new drive.

Is this what you're creating?
Or are you trying to make a full bootable 'clone' of your whole OS drive?

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017

USAFRet

Titan

Right.
Small USB, FAT32.

However....any backup routine is only as good as the last time you actually tested the procedure.
Having that rescue USB and a backup somewhere is great (kudos...far, far better than most people), but actually knowing it works is better.

USAFRet

Titan

Ideally, you would simulate an actual dead drive.

This requires having another blank physical drive handy.
Create whatever backup image you plan to use.
Create this Rescue USB.

Power off.
Remove or disconnect your current C drive.
Put in the new drive.
Power up, and boot from the Rescue USB.
Can you recover the system to its previous condition on this blank drive?

If so, then you know the software and your procedure actually works.
If not...why not? What failed?

TRENDING THREADS