Fatal error fmod could not be initialized when running soma

Divibal

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
i Have recently built a new computer and i am now struggling to run soma. first problem i ran into was vcomp100.dll not found, but i got that error message away after installing c++ 2010 x64. but now each time i try to run the game it shows 'Fatal ERROR Fmod could not be initialized' after i received a black screen. my pc specs are i5 3.3ghz 8gb ram and using integrated graphics intel 530. my graphics driver is up to date. i also downloaded the game on my laptop which has lower end specs but was able to run it. is there anything i still need to install? please i need help

Solution
have you run windows updates? All the fixes i found on net just say restart pc or make sure you have latest updates. They all relate to Soma too. fmod is related to the mod app

might also want to make sure you have latest audio drivers, perhaps run Driver booster and see if everything is up to date (yes, i know, new pc, but windows isn't best at grabbing latest drivers really).

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you run windows updates? All the fixes i found on net just say restart pc or make sure you have latest updates. They all relate to Soma too. fmod is related to the mod app

might also want to make sure you have latest audio drivers, perhaps run Driver booster and see if everything is up to date (yes, i know, new pc, but windows isn't best at grabbing latest drivers really).

Solution

Divibal

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016

the error was due to the audio driver. msi live updater only downloaded audio driver but never installed it. so i had to manually find and run the downaload. after that the game worked perfectly, as well as 'the forest' which only had a third of its sound effects lol.