Fatal Security Error Message on Windows vista

rdcool55

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Hello,
I was working in MS Publisher and had Firefox browser open as well. Turned off computer and tried starting several times. Ran CC cleaner but still no luck. Will start but when I try to work in a program, it says "Not Responding" and locks up. Please help.

1) what did you try several times?
2) why did you run CC Cleaner? What were you hoping to accomplish?
3) which program says "not responding?" Publisher? Firefox? do any other programs load?

Sounds like you may have a virus.

rdcool55

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
I tried starting the computer up several times. I ran CC cleaner hoping that it might just be a registry error with an update or something.

I can't get anything to respond. I can open up a browser and when I try to start something like gmail, I get this beep and the computer locks up.

Any ideas where I go from here? What kind of anti-virus program do you recommend? I haven't backed up my C drive in over two weeks, so I have a lot of docs I need. However, if there is a virus, I don't want to copy anything on a flash drive and get my work computer infected.

rdcool55

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

I tried starting the computer up several times. I ran CC cleaner hoping that it might just be a registry error with an update or something.

I can't get anything to respond. I can open up a browser and when I try to start something like gmail, I get this beep and the computer locks up.

Any ideas where I go from here? What kind of anti-virus program do you recommend? I haven't backed up my C drive in over two weeks, so I have a lot of docs I need. However, if there is a virus, I don't want to copy anything on a flash drive and get my work computer infected.

you can boot from a liveCD or thumbdrive and copy your data to an external usb thumbdrive or hard disk. data files like music, pictures, documents, cannot contain viruses, only executable programs like .exe, .com, .scr, etc have viruses. once you have saved your data your can do a virus scan with something like FreeAVG, or you can wipe your drive and do a fresh install of windows.

rdcool55

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

Thanks, that helps a great deal.