Question Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac VRM temperature

0v3rl0rd

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Greetings.

So I got the Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard and paired it with an Athlon 200GE.

Yeah, silly but it was the only ITX motherboard that met my friends requirements for a low powered ITX system.

Anyhow, the problem that I have now is that when I run Aida64 (Win10 x64 is the OS btw) the temperatures are as following:
  1. Motherboard - 32 °C
  2. CPU - 26 °C
  3. CPU diode - 26 °C
  4. VRM - 104 °C to 111 °C
  5. GPU diode - 25 °C

The noted temperatures are at IDLE. I did a 20 minutes AIDA stability testing, and the CPU reached max 70 °C (closed case, only cpu fan installed, no case fans - case is LC-POWER LC-1320II), but the VRM's remained more or less the same.

I touched the VRMs with my bare hand and didn't feel any warmth at all.

Any info on that weird VRM temperature?

What CPU heatsink/fan do you have? Hopefully it's one that will also provide airflow over the VRM heatsink. Some can block airflow to that area and that's going to be really, really bad in a small cases.

But that's a pretty high temp reading for idle...and I also tend not to trust Aida64's temperature monitoring. The best utility to use is HWInfo64; it's proven most reliable for me and is updated frequently.

But the best thing you could do, and probably should since you have this ultra-compact system, is get a remote-reading IR temperature guage to read temperatures of components. They're not expensive and have massive utility way beyond reading temps of PC components. You'll wonder how you got along without one.

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
What CPU heatsink/fan do you have? Hopefully it's one that will also provide airflow over the VRM heatsink. Some can block airflow to that area and that's going to be really, really bad in a small cases.

But that's a pretty high temp reading for idle...and I also tend not to trust Aida64's temperature monitoring. The best utility to use is HWInfo64; it's proven most reliable for me and is updated frequently.

But the best thing you could do, and probably should since you have this ultra-compact system, is get a remote-reading IR temperature guage to read temperatures of components. They're not expensive and have massive utility way beyond reading temps of PC components. You'll wonder how you got along without one.
I agree try this monitoring, shows you all kinds of good readouts. https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html