Fatal1ty Z87 Killer m.2 SSD Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2019
Hi there! Currently I own a Fatal1ty Z87 Killer Motherboard, an Intel Core i5 4590, 16gb RAM and a GTX 970. For my storage I have a pretty slow ADATA SSD and a 1TB WD HDD. My question is: Can I upgrade the storage on this motherboard using a PCI to m.2 adapter so that I can have significantly faster storage? I updated the Motherboard to the latest Beta BIOS, which also says: "Enhance M.2 compatibility when using a PCIe to M.2 adapter.". I know that the Z87 chipset is not praticulary good for PCI to m.2 adapters, some manufacturers do not support booting from it, but the bios update says otherwise. Here is the official BIOS page for the Motherboard: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z87%20Killer... What do you guys think? Can I do this upgrade?

Solution
Native M.2 NVMe support didn't come until Z97, but you could always use them as secondary storage with adapters.

So, given the BIOS actually references improved support, I would highly suspect it will support booting - unfortunately, the only way to find out, is to try (or find someone reporting the result online).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Native M.2 NVMe support didn't come until Z97, but you could always use them as secondary storage with adapters.

So, given the BIOS actually references improved support, I would highly suspect it will support booting - unfortunately, the only way to find out, is to try (or find someone reporting the result online).

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

While I don't disagree that they're not the best idea..... When using an older board with a PCIe adapter, provided you have Gen3 x4 lanes available to it, you should still be able to achieve comparable speeds (in benchmarks, at least - real world, not so much).

The issue with older boards is the ones with native M.2 NVMe support (Z97, etc). They were PCIe Gen2 x4, so the same effective bandwidth as PCIe Gen3 x2. Half the lanes/bandwidth available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS