'Father of the PC', Early Mentor of Bill Gates, Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having just completed a 9th-grade term paper on Bill Gates, I know very well the importance of the Altair 8800 processor. Mr. Ed Roberts was indeed very key in helping Gates succeed.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
R.I.P. Mr Roberts, and our thanks for your contributions. Without you this world would have been very different.

Also I apologize for writing what I am about to write, but I feel that it needs to be written (and I am sure that TH regulars will understand).

ossie, if you try to spin this news into something anti-Microsoft, then a perma-ban from TH would be the least of your problems. I pray that you have the sense and decency to allow Bill Gates to mourn for his mentor.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]jonpaul37[/nom]RIP brotha! you will go down like Eddison, Benz, & many others in history...[/citation]
dont even mention thomas eddision , every bit of his work was based of Tesla's ideas but tesla's ideas were generlaly more practical (eddison suportred dc current tesla suported what we use {AC}) i get sick of hearing what edison did when every thing he did was taken from tesla

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]r0x0r[/nom]I apologize for writing what I am about to write, but I feel that it needs to be written (and I am sure that TH regulars will understand).ossie, if you try to spin this news into something anti-Microsoft, then a perma-ban from TH would be the least of your problems. I pray that you have the sense and decency to allow Bill Gates to mourn for his mentor.[/citation]

Amen.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]dont even mention thomas eddision , every bit of his work was based of Tesla's ideas but tesla's ideas were generlaly more practical (eddison suportred dc current tesla suported what we use {AC}) i get sick of hearing what edison did when every thing he did was taken from tesla[/citation]

Innovation my friend, the Italians are known for great cuisine, if the Italians did not make better the noodle, i may not be as good of a cook as i am today...

If Gates innovated from Roberts, i see no mention of anyone bagging him for that, he simply saw an opportunity and tackled it, thus, making the world of computing how it is now...

Without that we would still be cavemen dragging our women through the jungle by their hair...

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]dont even mention thomas eddision , every bit of his work was based of Tesla's ideas but tesla's ideas were generlaly more practical (eddison suportred dc current tesla suported what we use {AC}) i get sick of hearing what edison did when every thing he did was taken from tesla[/citation]
I agree with you to a point and you could say the same for Bill Gates, nothing but a typical business bully who steals ideas and then tries to monopolise on it.

ashburner

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
RIP Ed.

I also wrote a paper on Bill Gates back in 11th grade (15 years ago)- shortly after his book, "The Road Ahead" was released. I really hope Dr. Roberts is remembered as he deserves to be. A true pioneer!

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]r0x0r[/nom]ossie, if you try to spin this news into something anti-Microsoft, then a perma-ban from TH would be the least of your problems. I pray that you have the sense and decency to allow Bill Gates to mourn for his mentor.[/citation]

I agree that we should let the dead lie in peace. Hell, I won't even bad mouth Nixon anymore. On a similar note, I wonder if the same respect will be applied to Jobs when he passes?

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]dont even mention thomas eddision , every bit of his work was based of Tesla's ideas but tesla's ideas were generlaly more practical [/citation]

Picasso said that "good artists borrow, and great artists steal." The same can probably be applied to innovation.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]HalJordan[/nom]What I find most inspiring is that, at the age of 36, he decides to go to medical school. Never stop learning.[/citation]

He was actually 41 when he started med school. Such an inspiration.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]I agree that we should let the dead lie in peace. Hell, I won't even bad mouth Nixon anymore. On a similar note, I wonder if the same respect will be applied to Jobs when he passes?[/citation]
I can't stand Apple products and I think Steve Jobs is an arrogant prick. But he is also a visionary and one of the founding fathers of the modern computer landscape. His death will be no less tragic, and he will be afforded all of the respect and admiration that he deserves. Hopefully, that will not be for a very long time.

officeguy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I can't stand Apple products and I think Steve Jobs is an arrogant prick. But he is also a visionary and one of the founding fathers of the modern computer landscape. His death will be no less tragic, and he will be afforded all of the respect and admiration that he deserves. Hopefully, that will not be for a very long time.

I whole heartly agree with you. Whether you like the people or not who shape and make the world a better place, you better honor them in some way.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Another man of awesomeness down.
If not for him, I may have stayed in the country and become a damned farmer. I have a lot to thank him for.
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]father of PC? looks more like father of CP..[/citation]
Disturbing. And I'm not disagreeing...

buckiller

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

BS. Tesla was amazing, but Eddison was a genius as well. Just go read what Tesla says about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.