Question Faulty ASUS RTX 2080 or driver issues?

Loadhaul

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
Just completed building my new PC with an ASUS RTX 2080 Gaming (non OC) in it.
I have not overclocked anything in this system and have flashed the BIOS and i'm experiencing stability issues with this new card.
Every program I enter I notice strange flashes of black polygons that last for about half a second or less and then shortly after the program will crash.
The card is crashing in 3DMark (demo) as well, I see EXACTLY the same thing that I see in other programs. Whenever light rays and shadows needs to be rendered I will notice these appear as a black polygons that flashes for about half a second and then disappear. The best I can describe this is when you take a shadow that is off an object, effectively that shadow will flash and cast it self as a black shape extending into infinity, then half a second later it will go back to normal and the program will crash.
When running a few games you'll notice this strange shadow effect for a split second and the program will crash.
While running 3DMark I also notice the lights appear to flash incorrect colours for about a millisecond before going back to a normal colour. Usually it will flash red or green for a split second before going back to normal. For some reason I haven't been quick enough to capture them in a screenshot, or the actual issue doesn't appear in them...

When running these programs the GPU temperature ranges from 50-60 degrees C, while the CPU ranges from about 40-50 degrees when running intensive programs.
Nor is power the issue either, i'm running a brand new Corsair RMX850W and in the BIOS all power rails are stable and match their aligned values perfectly. Also note that I have two separate 6+2 cables running into the GPU, so power isn't the issue. I've heard issues when people connect only one 6+2 cable into the PSU and then connect it to the GPU as a single cable splitting off into another 6+2 which was not supplying sufficient power to RTX cards.

The crashes are accompanied by an event id 13 - nvlddmkm error in Windows Event Viewer.

\Device\Video3
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x52dfb0=0x1f0008 0x52dfb4=0x4 0x52dfa8=0x7c12b72 0x52dfac=0x174

\Device\Video3
Graphics SM Global Exception on (GPC 5, TPC 3, SM 1): Multiple Warp Errors

\Device\Video3
Graphics SM Warp Exception on (GPC 5, TPC 3, SM 1): Misaligned Register

These same messages are repeated whenever I run 3DMark or other heavy programs on the GPU, such as Beamng Drive.

I have tried:
-Re seating the GPU
-Re connecting the power cables
-Tried different DP outputs
-Manually reinstalled drivers
-Installed older drivers
-Reset the BIOS
-Reset Nvidia Control Panel Settings
-Tried other programs; the same visible issue is replicated there too
-Downclocked the GPU in ASUS GPU Tweak II
-Stability tested the RAM and CPU in P95 (when I was running an overclock of 4.8Ghz; removed currently)

Could GPU sag be a problem in this scenario? The cables that came with the PSU are quite heavy and the GPU is sagging every so slightly in the PCI-e socket (maybe 1-2mm). The case doesn't have a very good GPU support either.

This is a photo of it, I really don't think this could be an issue.
View: https://imgur.com/a/CNAqCys

Here is what is shown in 3DMark, I could not capture them in a standard screenshot, so the quality is awful.

View: https://imgur.com/a/AKer8Ag

All system specs are brand new:
CPU: I7 9700K
GPU: ASUS RTX 2080 Gaming (non OC ver)
MB: ASUS Maximus ROG XI Hero
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro / 3200MHz - CL16 (not running at this currently)
PSU: Corsair RMX850W (White)
Cooling: Corsair H150i Pro and 9 fans
Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB

Last edited:

IBeats

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
Just completed building my new PC with an ASUS RTX 2080 Gaming (non OC) in it.
I have not overclocked anything in this system and have flashed the BIOS and i'm experiencing stability issues with this new card.
Every program I enter I notice strange flashes of black polygons that last for about half a second or less and then shortly after the program will crash.
The card is crashing in 3DMark (demo) as well, I see EXACTLY the same thing that I see in other programs. Whenever light rays and shadows needs to be rendered I will notice these appear as a black polygons that flashes for about half a second and then disappear. The best I can describe this is when you take a shadow that is off an object, effectively that shadow will flash and cast it self as a black shape extending into infinity, then half a second later it will go back to normal and the program will crash.
When running a few games you'll notice this strange shadow effect for a split second and the program will crash.
While running 3DMark I also notice the lights appear to flash incorrect colours for about a millisecond before going back to a normal colour. Usually it will flash red or green for a split second before going back to normal. For some reason I haven't been quick enough to capture them in a screenshot, or the actual issue doesn't appear in them...

When running these programs the GPU temperature ranges from 50-60 degrees C, while the CPU ranges from about 40-50 degrees when running intensive programs.
Nor is power the issue either, i'm running a brand new Corsair RMX850W and in the BIOS all power rails are stable and match their aligned values perfectly. Also note that I have two separate 6+2 cables running into the GPU, so power isn't the issue. I've heard issues when people connect only one 6+2 cable into the PSU and then connect it to the GPU as a single cable splitting off into another 6+2 which was not supplying sufficient power to RTX cards.

The crashes are accompanied by an event id 13 - nvlddmkm error in Windows Event Viewer.

\Device\Video3
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x52dfb0=0x1f0008 0x52dfb4=0x4 0x52dfa8=0x7c12b72 0x52dfac=0x174

\Device\Video3
Graphics SM Global Exception on (GPC 5, TPC 3, SM 1): Multiple Warp Errors

\Device\Video3
Graphics SM Warp Exception on (GPC 5, TPC 3, SM 1): Misaligned Register

These same messages are repeated whenever I run 3DMark or other heavy programs on the GPU, such as Beamng Drive.

I have tried:
-Re seating the GPU
-Re connecting the power cables
-Tried different DP outputs
-Manually reinstalled drivers
-Installed older drivers
-Reset the BIOS
-Reset Nvidia Control Panel Settings
-Tried other programs; the same visible issue is replicated there too
-Downclocked the GPU in ASUS GPU Tweak II
-Stability tested the RAM and CPU in P95 (when I was running an overclock of 4.8Ghz; removed currently)

Could GPU sag be a problem in this scenario? The cables that came with the PSU are quite heavy and the GPU is sagging every so slightly in the PCI-e socket (maybe 1-2mm). The case doesn't have a very good GPU support either.

This is a photo of it, I really don't think this could be an issue.
View: https://imgur.com/a/CNAqCys

All system specs are brand new:
CPU: I7 9700K
GPU: ASUS RTX 2080 Gaming (non OC ver)
MB: ASUS Maximus ROG XI Hero
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro / 3200MHz - CL16 (not running at this currently)
PSU: Corsair RMX850W (White)
Cooling: Corsair H150i Pro and 9 fans
Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB

Hi there,
  1. When did you start having issues?
  2. Did you change anything?
  3. Have you got another GPU to see if you get the same issue?
  4. Have you updated your bios to "Version 1105"
When you usually see weird artifacts on your screen. Its most likey your GPU is dying.

Loadhaul

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
This is a brand new system and GPU. This was the first time I attempted to play a game or what on it, so I haven't touched anything with the GPU. The BIOS is up to date with 1105. It only happens when I run more intensive programs on it, doing other things it acts completely normal.

Last edited:

IBeats

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
This is a brand new system and GPU. This was the first time I attempted to play a game or what on it, so I haven't touched anything with the GPU. The BIOS is up to date with 1105. It only happens when I run more intensive programs on it. Doing other things it acts completely normal.

Have you tried testing with only 1 ram stick?

Loadhaul

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro / 3200MHz - CL16 (not running at this currently)

Does that mean the memory runs at whatever [Auto] memory settings initiate?

Well the ram is running at 2133Mhz I believe, so I have not touched it. I did test the RAM and there didn't seem to be any issues with it under a stress test. Just posted two images before it crashed in 3DMark, it appears there are a few artefacts appearing which isn't good. This probably means the card is stuffed i'd assume.

Last edited:

IBeats

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
Well the ram is running at 2133Mhz I believe, so I have not touched it. I did test the RAM and there didn't seem to be any issues with it under a stress test. Just posted two images before it crashed in 3DMark, it appears there are a few artefacts appearing which isn't good. This probably means the card is stuffed i'd assume.

One way to rule out the GPU is to test another working GPU, to see if you get the same outcome.

Loadhaul

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
Tried to do a clean uninstall with DDU in safe mode. Reinstalled the drivers and still no joy.
I don't have another GPU to insert either. Are there any other possible causes of these artefacts appearing in 3DMark? Ran Furmark only to find it would only run for about 5 second with green and red artefacts appearing. The max temp it got to was 51C, but by looking at task manager it seems to be throttling or something. The usage is spiking between 0% and 100%. I have two separate 6+2 cables connected, so there's no way it's not getting enough power on an 850W PSU!

Last edited:

Loadhaul

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
Reducing the the memory clock of the GPU caused it to last about 5 mins in a game before it crashed, it still had artefacts. Then I lost display signal to the GPU and the system crashed. Temps were stable at about 42 degrees.
The artefacts look much like the second image in this old post, where it describes the issue as being bad VRAM http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html
I'll be sending the GPU back tomorrow, but now i'm starting to wonder, since I can prolong the time it takes to freeze by lowering the memory clock, is the GPU really faulty or is there somehow a lack of power...?