Question Faulty Buffalo Linkstation NAS with flashing red light

la chupacabra

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2014
Hello all, I have 2 faulty Buffalo LinkStations NAS enclosures; in both of them red light is flashing. I heard that reinstalling firmware could fix both of them.
I tried instructions from the website, but neither of the drives are showing in the NAS Navigator2
Is there a way to update the firmware some other way, perhaps by using an USB pendrive?
Also, is there a way to recover the data from one of the hard drives (1 of the 2 is faulty) without Buffalo NAS case?
Any advice would be much appreciated

Ralston18

Titan
More information needed.

Which specific enclosure?

Which specific LED (red light)?

Reference:

https://www.buffalo.jp/s3/guide/ls/400/99/en/mobile_main.html?Chapter1

What make and model drives are installed in the enclosures? Configuration?

I would not expect that two enclosures would fail - could be something else.

Do they share a common power source, a common network link (e.g., a switch)?

Will either NAS work independently: one powered on and connected and the other powered off and disconnected? Test both.

Reactions: la chupacabra

la chupacabra

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2014
One is LS220D0402-EU
The other one is LS-WXL: LS-WXL/R1
The first one came with 2x Toshiba DT01SACA200. One of them is faulty, making a lot of noise, but I'm hoping to recover the data from the second drive (from RAID 0), but the enclosure is not showing in NAS Navigator2 (both with and without HDDs inside) and there is a red light flashing.
I tried to use another Buffalo NAS enclosure which I found but it has the same issue as the first one
I tried connecting them to different power sources and independently to the Virgin Media Router - each time the same thing happens; red light blinks 7 times (on both) which I think indicates “Problem with the RAM, Ethernet Controller, or IDE Host Controller.”

Ralston18

Titan
Seconding @fzabkar with respect to the preceding post ( #5 ).

As for the Buffalo enclosure(s) themselves:

http://manual.buffalo.jp/buf-doc/35020118-02_EN.pdf

210 pages if I did, indeed, find the applicable User Manual. Verify to be sure.

Physically numbered Page 188 starts the Appendix regarding Status LED's.

Verify the LED color and the flashing pattern.

Doing so may help troubleshoot the problems.

However, if one of the enclosures was found then it may have previously failed the original user and was discarded accordingly.

And subsequently caused data corruption when reuse was attempted.

Reactions: la chupacabra

la chupacabra

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2014
I checked it again and it was actually RAID 1 (with 1 of 2 drives most probably faulty as it's making noise). In this case would it be possible to recover the data without working Buffalo Linkstation?

Regarding the error code; I checked the manual for LS220D and that's what is says:
Code: E07 (red light blinks 7x)
Description: "The firmware is corrupted"
Corrective action: "Contact Buffalo technical support for assistance."
https://manual.buffalo.jp/buf-doc/35020312-18_EN.pdf
Page:138