Question Faulty built in keyboard HP Elitebook 2560p Typing different letters

Feb 14, 2019
Good morning all,

I seem to be having a problem with my old HP Elitebook 2560P.

Some of the keyboard letters are typing double and wrong , for example when I press the 'c' key I get 'ce' or if I press the 'e' key I get 'ce' . If I press 'P' I get #P and a few others.

I've tried removing the driver from deivce manager and restarting and also hard resetting ( taking battery out and holding power button for 30 secs )

I've scanned for infections , tried updating the driver its self and I've even replaced the laptop keyboard with a brand new one and it's still doing it!

When I plug an external keyboard in it works fine!

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know this machine isn't technically W10 compatible but it was working before hand!

Thank you :)

Feb 14, 2019
You can try reseating the data cable for the built-in keyboard. If the cable is properly (re)seated and you still have issues, there could be an electronic failure on the keyboard. Easiest thing to do from there would be replace the keyboard.
Thank you for the reply :) I've already tried a new built in keyboard but does the same errors

Eek, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. You may have a faulty keyboard controller on the motherboard, then. Double check the connector for the keyboard cable, make sure it's not damaged, the cable is secure, and that there's no debris caught in connection that might inhibit proper contact.

The worst case here is, if it is the keyboard controller, having to replace the entire motherboard for this.