[SOLVED] Faulty CPU temperature reading?

Sep 14, 2019
Noticing my computer has been running its fans at max while playing some games, I opened Open Hardware Monitor and noticed one of my cores was hovering at around 90 C. Well, that'd do it. Closed out of the game I was playing, watched load drop to virtually nothing, temp kept increasing. It's now sitting at 105 C with no load and with all other cores around it sitting in the 20-35 range. Fans are running at their baseline, and it doesn't seem like part of my CPU is melting, but not exactly sure how to figure this one.

Current OHM readings

Any help on what might be causing this would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I just unplugged everything, spent a solid 30 minutes cleaning out the case and fans completely. Plugged back in, reading is now hotter than before at 107 C. Should point out that no part inside the case was scalding hot, either.

Last edited:
Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

A lot of software can be wildly inaccurate. The 7600K would throttle before it started reaching those temperatures in normal circumstances, and if it got too extreme, you would likely experience shut downs or stop errors.

Seems just like a faulty reading.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

A lot of software can be wildly inaccurate. The 7600K would throttle before it started reaching those temperatures in normal circumstances, and if it got too extreme, you would likely experience shut downs or stop errors.

Seems just like a faulty reading.

Solution
Sep 14, 2019
Much obliged for the welcome and the explanation. Started stress testing a bit while keeping an eye on the numbers, and everything else behaves entirely normally in OHM, and the readings in other programs don't show anything being remotely as hot. I'll keep an eye on it, but it seems like it is just a bad reading.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Much obliged for the welcome and the explanation. Started stress testing a bit while keeping an eye on the numbers, and everything else behaves entirely normally in OHM, and the readings in other programs don't show anything being remotely as hot. I'll keep an eye on it, but it seems like it is just a bad reading.
Yes, just keep an eye on it.
If other software isn't showing anywhere near the same, it is almost no doubt just an error in the software.