austinstama

Commendable
Sep 3, 2018
Good afternoon,

I have had an issue for a while now where my computer will randomly freeze for around 10 seconds. Following this, some things might break, like a video player that was going, and sometimes nothing will happen. There are also times, after the freeze, where both my monitors connected to my GTX 1070 will turn off and only will have a connection if I restart my computer. This only has happened when my GPU was at low usage (example computer has never froze while playing a game where it is 80%+ usage). Of note, when the freeze happens, sometimes the sound in the background will continue without issue, even though everything is frozen, while other times the sound will break. The sound breaking makes me worry that it also could be problems with the CPU but my limited understanding leaves me guessing.

Couple years ago I had a power surge that has given me issues with my GPU for a while (I had a power surge protected battery but had a bad battery the time). However, it is continuing to get worse to the point I feel I need to replace it before it gives out without a replacement available. My worry is the GPU might not have been the only thing damaged and causing issues. My warranty expired at the beginning of this year so I cannot send it in.

I was wondering if, given the above issue, anything along with the GPU could be causing these problems. I have done some stress tests to try and find problems with my computer, but as stated where my GPU has never failed under high usage, no issues ever show from it. I want to hope its only the GPU and replacing it will hopefully fix these issues as I can not afford to replace everything in my computer.

I have had other issues with my GPU in the past but an older drive fixed it for two years. These problems only started when Windows forced me to finally install the Nov. 2019 update about 2-3 months ago, where these issues have been happening since. I also should note I updated my drivers after that update, where, when I updated the PCI to PCI bridge driver, my computer had both monitors turn off and not return until I forced to restart the computer. The driver said it updated upon restart, but being that freeze into monitors turning off is very similar to the random freezes I encounter, I think this could also have caused these freezes to start beginning.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback of what components might be causing this, and if possible, any way to test said component to determine if it is faulty/damaged.

TL;DR
Computer randomly freezes for around 10 seconds and sometimes monitors shut down afterwards, needing a restart to turn back on. Background sound sometimes continues while everything is frozen, other times it breaks, only returning to normal when the computer unfreezes. I am wondering what other components could potentially be causing these issues outside the GPU (or hopefully its only the GPU) and if there is a way to properly test those components for issues.

Thank you for your time,

Austin Stamaskas

austinstama

Commendable
Sep 3, 2018
CPU: Intel core i7 7700k
CPU fan: Cooler Master fan
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance something I beleive
Motherboard: ASUS Prime z270-P
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Storage: 250GB Samsung SSD 8050 Evo
5TB Western Digital WDC WD56001FZWX... HDD