Question Faulty DIMM Slot I think

Jan 16, 2023
Hi There,

I built my PC in 2019 and lately its been switching off randomly both under load and when idle, the DRAM light is then on when rebooting and it does not post. It seems random and can run for hours no problem, then it completely powers off (the PSU clicks) and tends to cycle until it gets to safe mode, though that's not always guaranteed.

So...

I ran Memtest86 to check the RAM initially, it passed no probs.

Then removed my overclock & XMP profiles

Event viewer showed a paging file error, so removed additional paging file I set to an SSD though left the default one on the m.2 C: drive.

Finally started pulling RAM sticks out and all 4 sticks run fine in the first slot as the only stick, so it seems the 2nd DIMM slot (A1 in the manual, 3rd from CPU on the mobo) is my trouble maker.

I'm well past warranty now, so if you've got any ideas before I pull the trigger on a new mobo I'd love to hear them! Thanks in advance.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
RAM: 4x8gb Kingston hyperx fury 3600 c18 (1x8gb currently haha)
Mobo: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming (4403 BIOS)
GPU: RTX 3070 (latest bios)
PSU: Corsiar 850m
Storage: 240gb m.2 boot drive and 5 SSDs for other stuff

Jan 16, 2023
So update, I tried the new CPU and the same thing was happening. Guess I needed and excuse for an upgrade and clean winstall of win11 anyway so bought a MSI MPG X570S edge max and a 5800x3d. Provided it wasn't the psu I should be fine haha.

Jan 19, 2023
It sounds like you have done a good job troubleshooting the issue with your PC. The fact that the problem seems to be isolated to a specific DIMM slot on your motherboard and that you have been able to run your system with a single stick of RAM in the first DIMM slot suggests that the problem may be with the second DIMM slot on your motherboard.

One thing you could try before replacing the motherboard is to reseat the RAM in the second DIMM slot to ensure that it is properly seated and making good contact with the slot. You could also try cleaning the contacts on the RAM and the DIMM slot with a soft cloth or compressed air to remove any dust or debris that may have accumulated over time.

Another possibility is that the issue could be caused by a problem with the memory controller on the Ryzen 7 3700X CPU. You could try updating the BIOS on your motherboard to see if that resolves the issue, or try testing the system with a different CPU to see if the problem persists.

It's also worth checking the compatibility of the RAM you are using with your motherboard and CPU, some RAM might not be fully compatible with your specific setup.

It's also worth checking the temperature and power consumption of the components when the system is running, as overheating or lack of power can cause the system to shut down.