Question Faulty GPU drivers or dead GPU?

May 30, 2020
Hello,

I have an HP omen laptop, and it has a GTX 1060 6GB GPU. Now there is no secondary GPU, and the laptop solely relies on this Card. Recently, i noticed artifacts ONLY in demanding games, and then one day my laptop shut off[I opened my laptop and checked, there was much dirt , and i assume overheating]. I tried to restart it, and it would boot only in safe mode[Would give Video_tdr error in normal mode].

I gave the laptop to a repair shop, and they cleaned the fans and the laptop, and then they disabled the Nvidia GPU drivers, and it is now running in normal mode.
The issue is while i am able to use my laptop for most ordinary tasks, it wont run any games properly, even the most basic ones[I tried NFS Most Wanted , it was laggy as hell].
However, Using PC normally, there are no visible artifacts as such. The repairmen claim that upon updating drivers, the problem happens again and that this is the best solution if i want to use my laptop without hardware change. However, given the fact that it the laptop is working normally(almost) without drivers, it then seems like software problem to me. How can i know if my GPU has already been damaged or if it is because of drivers/softwares?
Without drivers, the property of the GPU looks like this- https://ibb.co/vx0TnjH
Thank you!

Lutfij

Titan
When the artifacting took place, would you happen to recall the sort of temps the laptop's GPU were exhibiting? Also, can you list the SKU for your HP Omen laptop? Can you check and see which BIOS version you're currently on for your laptop? Also, which drivers have you tried working with for your Nvidia GPU? Which version of Windows 10 are you currently working with?

Reactions: YPanda
May 30, 2020
When the artifacting took place, would you happen to recall the sort of temps the laptop's GPU were exhibiting? Also, can you list the SKU for your HP Omen laptop? Can you check and see which BIOS version you're currently on for your laptop? Also, which drivers have you tried working with for your Nvidia GPU? Which version of Windows 10 are you currently working with?
Here are the details https://ibb.co/553GyYH
For the drivers, i used the HP software and the Geforce experience app to reinstall and update AFTER i experienced artifacting initially, it didnt help. Then the crash happened and i couldnt log in in normal mode, so i coudlnt really update/change drivers.
The temps went hot, till 80-85 for GPU and 90 for CPU. I had it cleaned once when it was under warranty 8 months ago, and the temps had dropped to 60-75 then. The support guy said that 70-80 are normal for gaming laptops.
Currently, since the drivers arent installed, i cant access the current GPU temps, since it doesnt detect/show. The CPU temp is 70 degree normally now.

May 30, 2020
Update- After the drivers were disabled, i ran the games again and i find that there are NO artifacts as before, but the game is laggy[very]. Considering that the GPU is running without drivers, isnt that expected, and since it isnt artifacting anymore does that mean it is driver related after all?

TRENDING THREADS