CPU: i7 9700k (stock clock)
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO
Ram: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 3.6Ghz
SSD/HDD: Samsung 850 EVO (250GB & 1TB)
GPU: RTX 2080 Super by Zotac
PSU: Corsair TX-M 650 Watt
Chassis: Corsair Carbide 275r

Problem:
There isn't a central issue but there is an assortment of strange behaviours exhibited by my PC since I installed this new GPU earlier today. Below I have listed them.
  1. 3D Mark says it can't detect any of my equipment, but it can run the benchmark. I did not have this issue with my last GPU.
  2. Control (game) allows me to enable to Ray tracing features but does not allow me to enable DLSS, and it gives me the message that I must have an RTX card to enable it.
  3. Every time I enable ray tracing in Metro Exodus it crashes without fail.
  4. Shadow of the Tomb Raider ran perfectly fine for 10 minutes, but when I enabled ray tracing it crashed after a couple of minutes.
  5. This is not an issue, but I'd like to point out that I can ray trace with it. In fact, I ran Quake RTX for 5 minutes without issue.
What I've done:
  • I replaced my RTX 2070 this morning with this gifted GPU.
  • I inserted my new 2080 Super and turned my PC on before doing any with my existing drivers. When the PC was on, I uninstalled my drivers, installed new ones and restarted.
  • I went through a series of game tests and experienced the issues explained above.
  • I reset my PC, deleting all my data from my boot drive (my games are on a separate 1TB SSD, and I left all that alone), the latest display driver was already installed. I ran the previous games again and experienced all the same issues.
Extra support question, if that's alright:
My next course of action might be to reinstall windows from some external media. So I've used MediaCreationTool to set up a USB stick with a windows install. Say I boot from that and reinstall windows, are there any potential problems I should know about? I have a windows activation key, but I understand that's linked to the motherboard, so perhaps I won't need it.

Thanks for reading

Last edited:
Solution
So it turns out it was a driver issue.
I used DDU to uninstall my current driver and restart in safe mode. Rolled back to driver version 431.60. Selected custom install > clean install. All seems to be functioning now.

Jubby

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
Hi Mephis39,

It's unlikely unless you bought the GPU from wish, but does it display fake on 3d mark? lol.

In all seriousness, you can try complete removal of the graphics card driver using this tool - https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html and once complete reinstall them using nvidia experience so that it detects them automatically.

I didn't have to make any configuration changes to use ray tracing in control but, I did have to enable DX12 before the option appeared. (Something that is explained on the screen you are enabling ray tracing.)

You may want to reinstall windows from ISO but I can't see this resolving the issue, your next best call would be to contact Nvidia support as the GPU is relatively new so other users might not have experienced the same issue.

Mephis39

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
Hi Mephis39,

It's unlikely unless you bought the GPU from wish, but does it display fake on 3d mark? lol.

In all seriousness, you can try complete removal of the graphics card driver using this tool - https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html and once complete reinstall them using nvidia experience so that it detects them automatically.

I didn't have to make any configuration changes to use ray tracing in control but, I did have to enable DX12 before the option appeared. (Something that is explained on the screen you are enabling ray tracing.)

You may want to reinstall windows from ISO but I can't see this resolving the issue, your next best call would be to contact Nvidia support as the GPU is relatively new so other users might not have experienced the same issue.

Hey, thanks for the response.

I've tried a few times to uninstall all my drivers the way you recommend and install them from scratch, but every time I boot up again with all my display drivers gone, my manual installations fail saying there are some installations going on in the background, then I wait and the latest display driver just appears installed again.

Any idea why this might be happening?

Mephis39

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
So it turns out it was a driver issue.
I used DDU to uninstall my current driver and restart in safe mode. Rolled back to driver version 431.60. Selected custom install > clean install. All seems to be functioning now.

Solution