[SOLVED] Faulty GPU or Overkill?

Oct 16, 2020
I have recently upgraded my GPU from an ASUS GeForce GTX 1660 to a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Super windforce OC. This has resulted in my whole PC freezing mid game and forcing me to turn the PC off by the button. I know this is to do with the GPU as i put the old card in earlier and everything worked just fine. It is worth noting that this occurs when playing Warzone and the Cold War beta, the 2060 manages to cope with Valorant and Rouge Company.

What i'm really wondering is have i bought a faulty GPU? Or is the GPU too overkill for my system specs? I suspect it may be that i need a new CPU as the loads on the CPU are very high before the crashes although temps are always fine.

System specs:

ASUS Prime B450M-A

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G

Corsair RM650x PSU

ASUS GeForce GTX 1660 / Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Super Windforce OC

Cooler Master Masterliquid Lite 120 Liquid Cooling system

2X 1TB Seagate 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM HDD

2X 240GB Adata ultimate SSD

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Is there a specific reason why I should need to downclock the card? Is there something in particular that can’t keep up with it?
It's factory overclocked model. Factory overclock doesn't always get properly tested.
Reverting back to reference clocks will fix problems caused by too aggressive overclock.

Also bad case airflow may impact operating temperatures and cause freezes/lockups.
PSU problems can cause that too, but your PSU should be fine.
Oct 16, 2020
Is that a new card or used one? Perhaps it was abused in cryptomining?
Check cpu and gpu temperatures, when under load.
It might be necessary to downclock the card, to get is stable.
It is brand new. When it last froze I had a CPU temp of 64c and 76% load and GPU temp of 66c and 35% load. Monitored this through NZXTcam. Is there a specific reason why I should need to downclock the card? Is there something in particular that can’t keep up with it?

Is there a specific reason why I should need to downclock the card? Is there something in particular that can’t keep up with it?
It's factory overclocked model. Factory overclock doesn't always get properly tested.
Reverting back to reference clocks will fix problems caused by too aggressive overclock.

Also bad case airflow may impact operating temperatures and cause freezes/lockups.
PSU problems can cause that too, but your PSU should be fine.

Reactions: Bowen West
Solution