May 25, 2013
Hey!

So today my GPU has died (I think). My setup is:

PSU: Seasonic 850watt gold+
GPU: GTX 670
CPU: intel i5 3570k
Motherboard: Asrock extreme 4 z77
RAM: 8GB

For the past couple of weeks I have had my screen flashing, it's rare but just flashes really quick once and doesn't do it again for a while. Two weeks ago my screen would have fuzzy lines across the screen, so I tried putting the GPU in the x8 lane, and it worked until today. Not sure what is the problem, I have it connected by DVI, after windows loads up my screen goes black, I cannot do anything. I have tried reinstalling the nvida drivers, fresh install of Windows, safe mode and tried another GPU, both GPUs have the same issue. I still get the same issue.

Some tests I tried today:
I tried connecting to the onboard graphics and that works fine. I booted into safe mode and uninstalled the Nvidia drivers, restarted the pc into normal, when I go and download the drivers and install (I've tried multiple different drivers) it goes to a black screen again and I cannot do anything, only after the drivers get installed. This happens for both GPUs

I also tried both PCi express lane slots again with both GPUs, still the same issue.

Any ideas what it could be?

ShaunW500

Honorable
May 25, 2013
I understand its a old GPU. My other GPU has the exact same issue, both are cleared of dust etc. GPUs are cool, and the fans run as well, forgot to add that part to the thread.

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017

Same happened to mine and I used it as an excuse to upgrade without much testing. These cards run so hot, I figured it just burned itself out. Now I wonder what would happen if I had repasted the gpu and heat sink. I never checked my temps.

ShaunW500

Honorable
May 25, 2013

So getting a new GPU fixed it for you? Or was it something else.

ShaunW500

Honorable
May 25, 2013

Ow, so you was getting BSOD a lot with your old gpu. I'm assuming you do not get that with your new GPU?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
MERGED QUESTION
Question from ShaunW500 : "Can a faulty PCI Lane express slot damage a new GPU?"

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Threads merged. This is a continuation of the same issue.

Multiple working GPUs having the same problem would make your motherboard the suspect. Carefully inspect the PCIe x16 slot you are installing your GPU into for debris or damage.

ShaunW500

Honorable
May 25, 2013
Thanks for merging and replying.

When I cleaned my pc out and put the the GPU in, a black part did come off, but I have no idea from what. This was around a week ago.

I have to get a new GPU anyway, but I'm worried when I try the new GPU it's going to break it, because in the end it was the motherboard messing it up.

My plan is to buy the GPU first, and test it, but as I said, if it's a motherboard problem I'm worried its going to break the new GPU....