[SOLVED] Faulty GPU, PSU, or Motherboard?

Apr 2, 2020
A while ago i purchased an ex-mining RX 470 Red Devil for my PC. It works just fine, fans spinning, good fps, no stuttering, 60-70 Celcius temperature, etc. About a month later, the fans stop spinning but the gpu still posting and i still play games with it.I strapped a single 120mm normal casing fan on it to replace the original, not spinning fans, because without fans it could go beyond 80 Celcius. With that 120mm fan, i still play games at 72 Celcius max temperature.

Two weeks after the fans incident, the card simply not displaying anything and i thought its dead because PC still boot up with my integrated gpu. I continue using my pc without gpu inserted on the motherboard. I took the card to my local pc store and tested it there. The card still not posting and the fans still not spinning either, the guy at the shop says my 450W psu not enough for this gpu.

A week later, i try to put back my gpu card to my pc because i see some thread that mentions their gpu card works sometimes, a long shot but i try it anyway. I turn my pc after that, and boom...the gpu post and even the fans spinning again. I was relieved for a moment. After i shut down the pc, and turn it on again the problem returns, gpu not posting and its fans not spinning again.

A week later after that, i try putting my gpu again on the system and yes it works again with fans spinning and everything but after about 2 hours it shut down i think, because i left the pc while running Fallout 4 and when i came back the pc not posting.

So the summary is, my RX 470 Red Devil sometimes not working (posting or anything) and the problem might be the PSU which is not providing enough power or it is faulty (because i use PSU calculator and my system with the gpu only need about 325W). The other possibility is my PCIe slot (motherboard), i dont know about this but maybe a faulty PSU can damaged the PCIe slot?

If i replace the RX 470 Red Devil with another RX 470 will it have the same problem because of the 450W psu? Or it's simply a faulty gpu because it's ex-mining? Do i need to replace the PSU or the Motherboard? because i can't replace them all considering i need a new gpu because the RX 470 Red Devil is considered dead.

My complete system are is:
H67MU3 Motherboard
I5 3470 @3.2 Ghz
2x4Gb SkHynix DDR3 RAM
Cooler Master MWE 450
1 Tb WD BLUE Hard Drive
RX 470 Red Devil (AXRX 470 4GBD5-3DH/OC )

Solution
Hello Muji15,

I am very sorry you have problems with your PC, it is obvious it is not the PSU at fault. My thought is that the PCIe Port (GRAPHICS CARD PORT) on the Motherboard is dirty, so try cleaning it with IPA, you can get IPA on Amazon for about £12. You can also try a BIOS Update on your PC with the integrated graphics.

Hope this helps,
Naly A
Apr 26, 2020
Hello Muji15,

I am very sorry you have problems with your PC, it is obvious it is not the PSU at fault. My thought is that the PCIe Port (GRAPHICS CARD PORT) on the Motherboard is dirty, so try cleaning it with IPA, you can get IPA on Amazon for about £12. You can also try a BIOS Update on your PC with the integrated graphics.

Hope this helps,
Naly A

Solution