Question Faulty GPU?

Delythien

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
I've had a similar thread open recently, but since I marked it as solved, I don't wish to reopen it. I'm going to continue here.
So, my issue was that my GPU was overheating and causing some games to crash. I solved that issue by adding a manual fan curve on MSI Afterburner and adding some case fans.
However, now that I've tried to play different games, I'm seeing that the problem wasn't solved, it just made less intensive games playable.

My specs:
CPU - Intel Core i7-9700K - 8x 3.60GHz
GPU - MSI GeForce RTX 2070 AERO 8G
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI Gaming
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4-3200 CL 16 - 16 GB (2x8GB)
PSU - Corsair RM550x v2 - 550 Watt
CPU cooler - Noctua NH-D15 CPU - 140/140mm
Case fans - 7x Silent Wings 3 (3x front, 3x top, 1x rear)
SSD - Samsung 250GB SSD 860 EVO
SSD 2 - Samsung 1TB SSD 860 EVO
HDD - 1TB

I'm constantly having my GPU run at around 80°C, regardless of the game I play. Changing the graphics settings changes the temperature barely. Though, I do believe that my PC is actually pretty well made and should handle the following games without overheating so much, right?
  • Heroes of the Storm (75°C)
  • Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (80°C)
  • World of Warcraft (81°C)
  • Starcraft II (76°C)

True, I'm playing them on maximum graphics. However, here is the winner:
- Planet Coaster (80°C+) regardless of graphics intensity (between Medium or Ultra settings).
Now, my girlfriend has my old PC running with a GTX 970 with pretty high settings, yet her graphics card handles it well.
But the temperature wouldn't bother me much, as much as it causes some games to crash.
Planet Coaster crashes in about 20 minutes into the game and it freezes (or rather slows down) my Desktop to the point where I can't click on anything and when I move my mouse, it freezes it in place for 1-2 seconds before moving. Nothing, other than a computer restart, brings it back to normal mode. Running Task Manager alongside it shows nothing that would clog my CPU or anything really. This game takes 100% Load of my GPU (according to NZXT Cam).

Note that I have my GPU drivers up to date (I even reinstalled them just in case). I've tried changing my RAM slots and even RAMs in general. I even updated my BIOS. Nothing changes.

Is my GPU faulty? What else can I do to check what's really going on?

Delythien

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
GPU is pretty much brand new. About 5-6 months old, but only in the last month I've ran it more than an average game. I guess I could try reapplying thermal paste, yeah.
I agree on the bad cooler thing.

Also, wanted to add that I run with two 2560x1440 monitors.

Delythien

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
So I finally reapplied thermal paste on my GPU and alongside it I formatted my Windows. On this clean install I tried some games that were giving me issues earlier and it seams that the GPU temperature seems stable around 75°C which is great news.

However, when I was playing one of the games, the game crashed (at GPU 75°C) to desktop, then both my monitors went black for 1-2 seconds and that was it. This happened two times that I've tested it.

Any guesses on what could be wrong?

Delythien

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
It's actually even worse. After the game crashes, my system stays in half-responsive mode. That means that anything I have opened up to that point will work fine, but Desktop will be unresponsive. Anything new I try to open (through Start ->) will cause my PC to freeze or slow down drastically for around 30 seconds.
Since the game crashes, GPU fan will continue to spin without slowing down until I restart my computer.

Anyone with any ideas here?

Delythien

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
I haven't been able to try it out with the GTX 970 yet, but I will surely try it out.
Though another situation has come up. Does this message mean anything to any of you?
The Direct3D 11 device that was being used has been removed.

Apparently, this message appeared in crash log of two separate games I played.

Delythien

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
I've never overclocked my GPU, though this is how my MSI Afterburner looks like during the game (if that tells you anything):
msi-afterburner.png