[SOLVED] Faulty graphics card? New monitor won't display via HDMI

Jun 6, 2020
I recently upgraded to a Samsung S24F350H monitor, used as a single display for a 5-year-old PC. It will not work using the graphics card's HDMI output - the PC won’t boot up and freezes, and I have to clear the CMOS just to get it to start up again.

The PC is an HP Pavilion 500-515na, used as a family computer so no gaming or anything that needs more power. Graphics card is AMD Radeon 7660D + R7 240, which was factory installed so the video outputs on the motherboard are blanked out. Graphics card has 2 outputs – DVI and HDMI. Monitor has 2 inputs – VGA and HDMI.

The only way that I can get the monitor to work is DVI to VGA, via an adaptor. (The previous monitor was VGA only so was connected the same way. The PC’s HDMI output has never been used before). HDMI doesn’t work, neither does a DVI to HDMI cable. I have tried updating the drivers, using different HDMI cables, connecting things in a different order; nothing has worked.

The monitor isn’t faulty as I get the same result using another HDMI display. Is it possible the graphics card is faulty? Or is there something obvious I have missed? I haven’t flashed the BIOS, as I want to make sure I haven’t missed anything before I do that.

Reactions: ROHIT_rk
Solution
Have you tried working with a replacement HDMI cable? Also have you tried working with (another)another display using the current(culprit) HDMI cable?

Might want to make sure you're on the latest BIOS for your motherboard. Make sure your OS is up to date(assuming it's Windows 10) and your drivers are also up to date.

How old is the system?

Lutfij

Titan
Have you tried working with a replacement HDMI cable? Also have you tried working with (another)another display using the current(culprit) HDMI cable?

Might want to make sure you're on the latest BIOS for your motherboard. Make sure your OS is up to date(assuming it's Windows 10) and your drivers are also up to date.

How old is the system?

Solution
Jun 6, 2020
Yes I've tried 3 different HDMI cables, including a brand new one. Yes I've tried a different HDMI display.
It's a 5yo PC running Windows 8.1. No I haven't updated the motherboard BIOS yet - I want make sure I haven't missed anything obvious yet. (All of this info was in my original post btw).