Faulty Hard drive?

Apr 27, 2018
Hey! I recently bought a new hard drive to upgrade my pc, as my pc had/has a 280 gb HDD, this old HDD has windows 7 on it and runs it perfectly.
I installed the new HDD while taking the old one out since i only have 1 sata cable, i installed windows 10 on this HDD because i wanted to check it out, but after a day of trying it i decided it wasn´t really for me, so i decided to downgrade it to windows 7 since i liked it more. Take in mind that the short time i had windows 10 on it it ran really smoothly, no problems there at all.
Problems arose as soon as i finished installing windows 7, the installation went by without any problems and desktop appeared without any problems, at least for a while. Short time after using it wallpaper turned black, and no, it wasn´t the "unoriginal windows" black wallpaper, there was no unnoriginal windows watermark, besides the fact that i was still on trial period. As soon as the wallpaper turned black whole pc started to get laggy/slow, it was really messy, i didn´t mind it much and just changed the wallpaper to another one, but the pc was way too slow, i mean, the minimizing animation windows 7 plays by default was changed to a blinking window before dissapearing and text sometimes blinked like it couldn´t render it, i got so frustrated that i decided to wipe the disk clean thinking it had something to do with downgrading from windows 10 to windows 7. So i clean installed windows 7 from scratch, and same problem happened, i installed all the upgrades and all the drivers my pc needed and yet it was the same. I put on my old hard drive to test if it was my pc, but windows 7 runs perfect here. What i don´t really understand is why windows 10 ran smoothly on the new HDD while windows 7 ran so sluggish, is it the hard drive´s fault?

Solution
Hello june.229909, what brand is the new HDD? In this case it best to run the drive manufactures propitiatory test software to determine if the drive is at fault. If it is a Seagate, use Seatools. If no errors come up it is a good idea to run a low level format to discard any bad sectors. It is also a possibility that the drive was damaged before you got it.
Hello june.229909, what brand is the new HDD? In this case it best to run the drive manufactures propitiatory test software to determine if the drive is at fault. If it is a Seagate, use Seatools. If no errors come up it is a good idea to run a low level format to discard any bad sectors. It is also a possibility that the drive was damaged before you got it.

Solution