[SOLVED] Faulty HDMI Connector on RTX 3080ti?

wildcat2492

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2014
Hello. My graphics card is having trouble detecting and using 4k @ 120hz with HDR on my 65" Hisense U8g. I've been using it for over a year now with no problems, but now it won't detect it unless the cable is held up, like the connector has become faulty? I have used 3 different cables and they do all work, but only when I apply pressure to the cable to hold it upward. Do you think the connector may have become faulty over time? Is there any other troubleshooting I can try?

I've used three different 20' HDMI cables. Each rated for 4k @ 120 hz. I think the length of the cable could be an issue, as I've read that in the past. However I have had no issue in the past 15 months of use..

I've reset the TV, power cycled it, and ran through the geforce control panel to find which resolutions work. It accepts up to 4k @ 60fps just fine, however the tv is capable of 4k @ 120 and it won't accept that anymore. Happy to provide any further information..

-Joe

Solution
HDMI strain is a real thing and can be caused by cables that aren't fully plugged in, cable that have been tripped over or otherwise somewise "yanked" on OR, especially when very heavy thick gauge cables are used, the weight of the cable itself settling downwards. It would pretty pretty rare for it to create a situation where it works normally at 4k/60hz but doesn't work at 4k/120hz, but I suppose it's possible. They actually make products specifically designed to help eliminate long term HDMI strain relief, such as products like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Plate-Strain-Relief-White/dp/B000OYHX02

And strain relief tabs that support the connector from underneath. But usually it's the male part of the cable that sticks out...
The only thing i can think of is to try and reseat the gpu. The tmds channels are on the bottom of the hdmi cable port, so it makes sense that pushing it up creates a better connection.
k1PeR.gif

HDMI strain is a real thing and can be caused by cables that aren't fully plugged in, cable that have been tripped over or otherwise somewise "yanked" on OR, especially when very heavy thick gauge cables are used, the weight of the cable itself settling downwards. It would pretty pretty rare for it to create a situation where it works normally at 4k/60hz but doesn't work at 4k/120hz, but I suppose it's possible. They actually make products specifically designed to help eliminate long term HDMI strain relief, such as products like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Plate-Strain-Relief-White/dp/B000OYHX02

And strain relief tabs that support the connector from underneath. But usually it's the male part of the cable that sticks out that becomes damaged, not the port on the device. Again, I suppose anything is possible but I'd be a lot more inclined to think you had three bad cables rather than one bad port, at least due to strain. It's certainly possible to simply have problems with faulty ports themselves that are simply not even related to the cable at all.

The only thing is, it would be equally unlikely that "holding up the cable" would have any effect in a case like that. You could certainly try one of the strain relief solutions to see if it helps at all or simply zip tie the cable into the correct alignment by zip tying it to one of the cable above it.

Solution
Most people don't have a vertical graphics card installation though. So for most people, all of the graphics outputs on both cards and motherboard will be horizontal. For vertically installed cards, this likely wouldn't even be a factor because there is very little tolerance that direction like there is from top to bottom on a horizontal installation.

wildcat2492

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2014
Thanks everyone for your input. I reseated the GPU as suggested and the issue persists. I've decided to mount the TV above and behind the computer and use a shorter cable.. that way there will not be any pressure holding/pulling the cable down like it is currently. Yes, holding the cable up restores 120hz functionality for as long as pressure is maintained. I'm hoping this resolves the issue; I will report back in a week or so when I have time to do this.

wildcat2492

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2014
This problem is resolved.. using a shorter 6 foot cable and eliminating any droop.. the TV is back as advertised. I also thought it was really weird that the resolution set to 4k @ 120hz behaved the way it did in regards to the cable.. but I'm just glad to have it back to normal finally.