Faulty i7 - 6700K?

Jaedan

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017
Hi guys,

I've had some issues with my PC lately. I was playing DOTA2 when it suddenly crashed. No error message, nothing. I tried restarting the game, no avail. I restarted my PC and from there I could not get back into Windows 8.1 Pro. It was stuck in a bootloop. Kept getting BSOD with some error messages.

SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED (Cl.dll) this one I saw the most. It came and restarted almost instantly every time.

IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. This one is the same as above, saw it less frequent but sometimes it would count up to 100% for a few seconds and then restart. Sometime just restart instantly.

PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA (CL.dll) This one was sporadic. Would also count up to 100% for a few seconds and then restart.

Last but not least, BAD POOL HEADER error. Saw this one once. Also counted up to 100% before restarting.

After a lot of thinking, trial and error, and some more thinking; I isolated the problem. It was my CPU. So I used the UEFI bios to try and fiddle with some settings. I tried setting active cores to two. Then it worked. So I tried setting it back to four, didn't work. So the max cores that is working for me is three right now. Sucks, but I can play most games like this (I think).

Long story short; My i7 6700k is now working with three cores instead of four. Do I need a new CPU or what else can I do? I've bought the item less than a year ago, but I don't have a receipt or proof of purchase anymore. In my 14 years of computing, I've never returned a processor.

My setup:

1 Intel Core i7-6700K Boxed
1 Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming
1 MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition 8GB
1 Corsair Obsidian 750D - Airflow Edition
2x Philips Brilliance BDM3270QP Zwart
1 Corsair Hydro H110i
2x Kingston HyperX Fury HX426C15FBK2/16
1 Cooler Master GM G650M
1 Intel DC S3500 (2,5") 240GB
1 Samsung 960 EVO 250GB

Thank you kindly in advance.

Jaedan

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017
I got it, fiddled around with settings in the bios; turned one core off. Turns out the CPU is faulty. It runs on three cores now. Sucks, but it works.

carlos campos

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
I got it, fiddled around with settings in the bios; turned one core off. Turns out the CPU is faulty. It runs on three cores now. Sucks, but it works.
Holy shit I wanna thank you Jaedan. I know this is old af but I bought a i7 6700+i5 6500 plus 2 high end motherboards for $300 and I was having this exact problem and I was afraid it was a CPU and I bought it second hand so I couldn't get a refund buy I tried this and I was able to lower the GHZ by .1-0.2 and it worked on both of the cpus! Thanks man!