[SOLVED] Faulty Memory or CPU?

Aug 20, 2020
Hi guys,

Built my new rig recently to celebrate my graduation from uni. I've built quite a lot of rigs before as a side job. But anyway.. My own obviously had to not work. After about a month of light usage I started getting BsODs. A lot of different ones which indicated at bad driver, after updating all drivers the errors seem to increase to a point where it does not boot at all. I decided to clean install windows and see if that helps. It would BsOD at set up. So i figured it must be a hardware issue. Ran memtest86 and got lots of errors which I don't really understand and also it freezes in the middle of a test. I also tried only putting in one stick of RAM and different slots. Could anyone please help me out?

Aug 20, 2020
Welcome the forums :D

if memtest86 reported errors, send the RAM back.
memtest86 should run for 5 passes or several hours with no reboots or errors on working RAM.
any errors or reboots and the RAM is the problem.
Hi!

Thank you the reply, Ive used these forums for years and years but never had to post!
I tested the two sticks separately with the same errors, could it be a CPU or MOBO issue?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
it could be. it very well could be but we need to start somewhere and the RAM is the easiest part to swap out. swap it out and with the new RAM if you get errors it means that the issues are elsewhere.
the CPU houses the memory controller and the motherboard connects the RAM to the memory controller in the CPU.

Aug 20, 2020
Following on from this topic.
I was super busy with work and graduating college I had no time for this.
I tried different RAM same errors, got a new mobo... sadly still the same error.
Could it be the GPU, or maybe the PSU isn't supplying enough juice to the system, even though it should.
Please help :(

Aug 20, 2020
the CPU with the memory controller or the PSU. the GPU is not involved with memory testing.
Hi there,

I was thinking of updating the BIOS since it is one version behind.
I have a spare GPU and PSU I can borrow so I'll test those later on today as well.
I also have a multimeter, would it be beneficial to test my current PSU with it?

Sep 24, 2020
Can i say something not related to this does the evga bv 500 80+ bronze coming how many sata power connector does it have im going to install a ssd a hdd and a sata powerd fan hub