Question Faulty Motherboard or PSU?

Dec 24, 2020
I recently bought and built a computer with/for my sister and she has had a couple of very odd issues over the last week.

First problem was a sudden change in boot order (I believe). After the computer was left on overnight, it was off in the morning and upon powering on, displayed the message regarding selecting the proper boot device. I instructed her to disconnect her HDD (extra storage) and restart so that the system only detects her SSD (boot). This worked, and she was able to reinstall the HDD - and restart the computer - without issue.

Just earlier today, the computer restarted mid-game and turned back on with a zoomed display and in black and white. She could not access the internet on the computer to download a fresh GPU driver installation, however she found another solution online to fully delete the drivers through device manager and restart. This restored the color, she then updated Windows 10 and the resolution was also restored.

(After the first incident, she has not been able to enter BIOS because the keyboard momentarily turns off ONLY during POST. All USB ports were tried to no avail, I have not had her try restarting directly into BIOS, because it has not been necessary. This is just another issue that we've noticed.) SOLVED

I believe the motherboard may be at fault because it was an open box mobo from Micro Center. The power supply is only suspected as it is a cheap(ish) PSU and if it is sending surges, it could cause the random restarts and graphical issues. She also reported a power surge that required flipping the breaker, though this may have been due to the 2 space heaters that were also running at the same time. My money is on the mobo, but I want to rule anything else out.

I will be buying her a new mobo anyways; I will take hers to use in my rig because I need a new mobo (current one is a pre-built custom mobo with limited BIOS updates, so it is not compatible with the 5600X I have coming). If anyone can help diagnose the issue otherwise, I would appreciate it greatly!!!

Last edited:

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
Give all your system specs.

I was very much inclined to change my mobo because it was 2nd hand. I still have it, I was wrong. My ram was not compatible with cpu. mobo was okay, still using it.

your problems seems to be related to PSU.

Dec 24, 2020
Give all your system specs.

I was very much inclined to change my mobo because it was 2nd hand. I still have it, I was wrong. My ram was not compatible with cpu. mobo was okay, still using it.

your problems seems to be related to PSU.
Full spec:

Gigabyte x570 aorus elite wifi
Ryzen 5 3600
2x8Gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3.6 GHz
Asus Rog Strix GTX 2060 gaming
PowerSpec 650W 80+ bronze
WD 500 Gb M.2 SSD and a 2Tb Seagate HDD

Dec 24, 2020
Update: fixed BIOS by resetting CMOS, then updated BIOS. Graphics card was also found to be in the 3.0 slot, not the 4.0 slot - moved.

Last edited: