[SOLVED] Faulty onboard wifi? Asus Hero xi

Daniel-333

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Hey all, i feel my onboard wifi on my brand new motherboard is faulty (asus maximus hero xi wifi) , i keep getting random dropouts and spikes, i could be talking to friends on discord and their voices just vanish for a good 5-10 secs or i get waves of spikes in game where network lag pops up for a few seconds then back to playing then network lag again, non stop, but then ill get periods where it will work for 30 mins and then network lag again, yet my download/upload/ping is great.

I spent the last 2 weeks thinking it was my isp but every other device on wireless is fine and im getting full speeds of 50 download they even sent someone out to check the connection.
Ive checked, uninstalled and updated drivers and ive even disabled the 5ghz so it was just running the 2.4ghz to see if that was the problem. Turned the firewall off to see if that was causing issues aswell. Ethernet seems ti work fine but i can't have a cord running to it atm unfortunately. Also my old computer worked 100% with no issues the same day i put this new rig together.

Is there anything else i can do to test this before sending it back under warranty?
Cause if they cant find the fault and this problem doesn't happen while they test it , I'll have to wait for the manufacturer to look at it, which can take up to 3 months.
Cheers

Solution
I have not used this motherboard but most use some kind of plug in wifi cards. Check any wires going from the card to the back panel connectors. Check you antenna also.

Many times a desktop has issues because the antenna are very close to the back of the case. Try turning the case anohter direction and see if it makes any difference.

Worst case I suspect you can replace just the wifi board
Maybe ethernet via Powerline adapters would be useful, so long as the PC and the router are plugged into outlets which are in the same circuit.

Buying a wi-fi USB dongle would tell you if the onboard is or isn't alone in screwing up the connection but having to dismantle, pack and pay to return the motherboard is surely not a viable option, however long they keep it.

I have not used this motherboard but most use some kind of plug in wifi cards. Check any wires going from the card to the back panel connectors. Check you antenna also.

Many times a desktop has issues because the antenna are very close to the back of the case. Try turning the case anohter direction and see if it makes any difference.

Worst case I suspect you can replace just the wifi board

Solution