Faulty or just loud stock AMD wraith spire cooler?

adsadaa

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
Hi, I just finished my new build, pairing a Ryzen 1600 with an MSI Mortar B350M MB, Its all installed fine but straght away I noticed the noise of the cpu fan, am using the supplied wraith cooler and its got this really irritating whirling sound - even at lower RPMS, and worse as this increases. In fact it actually it louder than my old PC it replaces which is kind of crazy.

Just wondering if this could be a faulty cooler, or is this expected with these bundled ones - I just read good things about them so assumed they'd be next to near quiet on little loads.

Played around with the BIOS hardware monitor stuff and took a reading of 1500 RPM when it was annoyingly noisy and the cpu at 45 degrees

thanks

adsadaa

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017

Hi, I raised the issue with AMD and after some back and forth they eventually sent me a replacement cooler. The new one is whisper quiet! the one I got sent is actually different - uses a 5 blade fan whereas the noisey original one was a 7 blader, there's a lot of posts about the difference but the general opinion is that the 5 blade version is a better quality fan and this is what I've noticed. Almost went for a pricey notura fan but glad I held off

Hope this helps

EDIT: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6ti90q/there_are_2_different_wraith_spire_fan_designs/

Mar 14, 2019

Hi, I raised the issue with AMD and after some back and forth they eventually sent me a replacement cooler. The new one is whisper quiet! the one I got sent is actually different - uses a 5 blade fan whereas the noisey original one was a 7 blader, there's a lot of posts about the difference but the general opinion is that the 5 blade version is a better quality fan and this is what I've noticed. Almost went for a pricey notura fan but glad I held off

Hope this helps

EDIT: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6ti90q/there_are_2_different_wraith_spire_fan_designs/

Yea I have the same problem, for some reason out of the box for the Ryzen 5 2600x came a 7 blade cooler, and it is so loud. I can hear it through game sounds, music, and youtube full volume. It makes this almost buzzing noise, and performs really poorly. I watched some unboxing videos and people got a 5 blade cooler from their box, so maybe just got the wrong cooler?