[SOLVED] Faulty PC - which component to change first?

May 17, 2020
Hi,

my gaming PC suffers from random crashes. Usually screen freezes with the occasional BSOD mixed in. Can be on games, but it also (rarely) happens in desktop mode. I have sent the PC in for repair twice, but support couldn't not reproduce the error so I am on my own, and all the diagnostics show no error. So here's my question: Which part would you change first?

Additional info:
ASUS H170I+ D3
i7-6700
EVGA GTX 1080
16GB RAM
Corsair CS650M

RAM is fine according to memtest
temperatures are not an issue before the crash, according to logging software
often after crash and reboot, screen stays black while PC seems to boot normally; it may work again after a few tries or I may have to switch to onboard GPU; graphics card shows no error even while not working and will always work again after a couple of hours

Thanks for your input!

Solution
Hi mate,

Based on what you've just said about the system tending to fail whilst under load and the associated botting issues, it sounds like the issue lies with the GPU. Have you ran the system without the discrete graphics and used integrated only? If you can do that, test the system under load and if there is no crash, you've found the issue.

Cheers,

Trav

Spec13

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
Hi mate,

Based on what you've just said about the system tending to fail whilst under load and the associated botting issues, it sounds like the issue lies with the GPU. Have you ran the system without the discrete graphics and used integrated only? If you can do that, test the system under load and if there is no crash, you've found the issue.

Cheers,

Trav

Solution
May 17, 2020
the whole system has been completely reset and reinstalled 4 times between myself and the vendor support, problem keeps coming back; drivers and firmwares are up to date

May 17, 2020
My gut tells me the power supply or graphics card. Unfortunately you need to swap them out to verify this. Perhaps a friend has some parts for loan so you can troubleshoot?

If the power supply is the problem, should voltages go down right before the crash (they don't)? But my basic knowledge of electricty tells me the current might the problem while the voltage stays constant.

Unfortunately, no spare parts available...

May 17, 2020
Just some feedback and info in case somebody faces similar problems:
All things considered, I decided to replace the GPU and haven't had any crashes in almost a month now.
Thanks for your input everybody.

TRENDING THREADS