Question Faulty power/charging connector on laptop ?

Feb 10, 2023
I'm having a problem with my Acer Nitro 5. I haven't used it in a long time and the battery wouldn't charge so I figured it was dead and needed a new battery. I noticed that the charging LED on the laptop turns off when I move the charging cable. I checked the cable to see if I could find any broken wires, but the problem appears to be from the port itself. The charger is a round connector, and when the connector spins/rotates inside the charging port (like when moving the laptop) it randomly acts as if it's unplugged. I've been able to reproduce it several times by intentionally spinning the connector when it's in the charging port. I tried to remove dust from the charging port and the connector but it's not helping.

I don't know if this problem is fixable, maybe by getting a new charger, or if it's something on the motherboard. But I don't think it's the battery anymore. I was able to get the battery to charge after I made sure the charging LED was on and then didn't touch the laptop to ensure the cable wasn't bumped.

Also, when spinning/moving the cable while the laptop is on, Windows makes the "beep" sound which it normally does when I disconnect the power cord. So, it's clearly thinking the cable is being disconnected when it's not.