[SOLVED] Faulty PSU damaging other parts?

WoolyHat

Honorable
May 15, 2015
I recently purchased a Corsair RM850 and after using it for a few days my computer unexpectedly powered off. I immediately disconnected the power cable from the PSU. I then noticed a burning smell coming from the computer and upon inspection noticed that there was smoke coming from the front case fan wires and they were melting. I have since removed them from the case.

I installed my old PSU that had previously been working perfectly into the system and the system was unable to boot. I have now tried a new motherboard with no further success. I noticed that the CPU cooler smelled of burning but upon inspection could see no issues.

The computer still will not post although the remaining case fans spins as well as the CPU fan and GPU fan. The light on the SSD turns on as well as the light on the GPU.

Is it likely that the PSU has damaged either the RAM or CPU? I have been unable to test these as I do not have the parts or a case speaker.

Solution
Good point, I hadn’t considered that. I tested the RM850 twice after the issue and the fan would do one revolution and not start so I assumed that was what had caused it.

Because the RM850 has a zero RPM fan mode. The fan won't spin until the temperatures hit 40°C or the load is greater than 30%.

WoolyHat

Honorable
May 15, 2015
So how did the PSU cause that damage? That doesn't sound like the PSU's fault at all. Sounds like the LED controller.
Good point, I hadn’t considered that. I tested the RM850 twice after the issue and the fan would do one revolution and not start so I assumed that was what had caused it.

After looking again, it seems that the damage to the fan is only on the wire connecting to the splitter which was connected to the fan header. In fact, the male connector has melted and fused into the female connector, whereas the wire connecting to the LED controller is unaffected. The damage is chiefly present on one of the fan wires where it seems to have spread from the fan itself to the splitter. On the other fan wire, the damage is only present immediately next to the connector, not near the fan.

Does that suggest the fan has shorted the system and damaged the PSU and other components?

WoolyHat

Honorable
May 15, 2015
Further info, the RM850 works with the paper clip test. I’ve also noticed that whilst the CPU fan does appear to be working , it still smells like burning. Thinking that either the CPU or RAM are dead. Have tried each of the ram sticks on their own in the new motherboard but no luck with that.

WoolyHat

Honorable
May 15, 2015
Tell me more about this replacement. Did you make sure and use the Corsair modular cables and not any ones your previous PSU had?
It’s a EVGA BQ 650W, not great I know which is why I’d replaced it but it had been working previously. It’s semi-modular so had to use those cables (I was under the impression you should only use the cables that came with the PSU, is that not right?)